okay, so i managed to get epocrates working with garnet vm on my n800 (if you don't know what epocrates is, you don't need it...).

here's how i did it:
i did a fresh wireless install of epocrates on my palm tx, and copied all the related files i saw to an sd card, after trying to figure out the bare minimum number of files that would cause it to work.

then i had to install each file individually through VM, which was a huge PITA (85 files!), but worked eventually.

i'd love to know which files are truly essential to make this process easier in the future.

i would also like to know if it's possible to batch copy files from an sd card to the garnet virtual memory, rather than having to do this individually.

autoupdate obviously won't work through garnet; if anybody knows which file is updated, it might be possible to extract the appropriate file from the compressed desktop install file (i'm guessing strings-nc-2.pdb, since that's the largest file)--if you don't have access to a palm, this might be the way to get all of the needed files.

if anyone wants my file list, i'll try to type it out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nola mike For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I tried in the past and lost interest when failed. I think you can installed epocrates on a pc and specify "no sd" option, then you should be able to autoupdate via Garnet VM. I got autoupdate succeeded a couple of time, but somehow i got the sd option and it kept on looking for an sd disk on the N800 and failed

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-05-08 at 00:14.

so you're saying that you update on the pc, then sync? i didn't think of that, since i'm running linux on the desktop and the epocrates software won't work on that either. but you can't update directly through garnet, right? that is, you can't get the vm to connect directly to the epocrates site?

Originally Posted by nola mike View Post
so you're saying that you update on the pc, then sync? i didn't think of that, since i'm running linux on the desktop and the epocrates software won't work on that either. but you can't update directly through garnet, right? that is, you can't get the vm to connect directly to the epocrates site?
Yes, it will. I did it. Just have to make a membership preference, something like that, that you take epocrates and update on palm, no SD disk. As I post previously, my membership preference is with SD disk and it wont work.

Anyhow, I salute your peristence, 89 installations.....you are to be commented for just trying out. Salute!

bun

yeah, as it turns out, i'm an idiot that like to do things the hard way. easy way: get the file setup.prc from the epocrates site (looks like you have to set up a windows wireless installation). install setup.prc to garnet, and run from within. no problem, and it lets you set up all the related apps (INR, steroids, medmath, etc). all run without problem. what i ended up doing for the other apps is using pilot-xfer to backup all files from my palm, and then reinstall the ones that i want using pilot-xfer from the commandline and wireless hotsync from within garnet--this was surprisingly easy. beware: garnet every once in a while when it crashes (it's happened when i try a new incompatible program) will wipe out all of your data. easy enough to restore if you have the relevant files in a dedicated directory on your desktop.
the command to use is: pilot-xfer -p net:any (options). read the man file for details. hotsync from within garnet is just set to whatever the ip address is of the desktop. this is linux anyway. don't know how to do it from within windows, but presumably it's even easier using palm desktop. hth someone. i'm now using hopkins antibx guide, skyscape apps, as well as all of the little free apps (pregwheel, mentstat, vent weaning, TIMI guidelines, etc) without problem. seems like the only thing that it chokes on is the calculator programs (ICUMath, MedCalc); i had read that garnet has a hard time with mathlib, which i think these programs depend on.

Hi,

I have also been wanting to run epocrates, I cant seem to get a copy of the setup.prc from the epocrates site. Can you tell me how to get a hold of it. All I'm able to download is the installer for palm.

Thanks

that is the installer. i think you need to download it from a palm; when i tried to do it via the n800 it said "not supported". also, garnet crashes OFTEN, wiping out your data. copy the file /home/user/.gvm/gvm.store to your sd card; when garnet wipes everything out you can copy this file back to .gvm in a few seconds and be back up and running. much quicker than re-hotsyncing everything.

Originally Posted by manni View Post
Hi,

I have also been wanting to run epocrates, I cant seem to get a copy of the setup.prc from the epocrates site. Can you tell me how to get a hold of it. All I'm able to download is the installer for palm.

Thanks
You have to do it with a palm. On your pc, go register and setup a membership to download Epocrates drug FREE, choose other or treo or palm, then window PC. It will then say go get.epocrates.com to get the setup.prc. You go to your palm and go to get.epocrates.com to sign in your membership. It then ask you to dl to Application or SD card. It then start the dl and gives a statement installer saved. That is where you need to get your SD card out and transfer the setup.prc to your N800. If you press OK at that point, it will start install epocrates on your palm and when finished they will erase the setup.prc. Tricky, uh?

I can go so far....the rest follow mike's post
bun

Hi Bun,

Thanks for the information, but I'm using a Palm Zire which has no wireless connection. If I try the get.epocrates.com website either from a PC or the N800 I just get the browser not supported message. Is the setup.prc file individual for each user? If not could someone send me a copy?

Thanks

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yeah, I don't have a Palm so I wouldn't mind a copy as well.

This is really great news though!

Thanks nola mike!

Tags
garnet, palm