Originally Posted by tissot View Post
"As soon as we have something to announce, we will, but we expect significant volumes of Nokia Windows Phones in 2012."
Very good strategy!!!!!!!!!!!!
In 2011, they will sell what? Nokia 1100?

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
Originally Posted by danielminan7 View Post
Very good strategy!!!!!!!!!!!!
In 2011, they will sell what? Nokia 1100?
yeah, you bet, it would be great if they sell 1100

:P

I hope Elop meets the same fate as Bud Fox.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
How will a Nokia WP7 device differ from any other OEM? With Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo they offered something different and functional. Only complaints I ever heard about Symbian were in the media, Engadget, Gizmodo, Eldar, but mostly American media. Most my girlfriend love using Symbian. N8 has sold double the amount of all WP7 devices combined, and it's only one manufacturer. Why throw away all efforts, if Elop wanted to be efficient and please shareholders, he could have just slapped Maemo 5 on an OMAP 3630 with 512mb ram. The code is there and can suffice untill MeeGo is at a 100% state. I smell MS socks in Nokia HQ since Flop's arrival. Dumbest CEO ever, he should really be pleased of ruining a giant like Nokia.

Agree on the Maemo 5 bit, but Symbian hasn't been good for a long time. I had a n97, it was awful, my wife has an X6 and it isn't much better.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
"We expect to deliver a MeeGo-related device later this year but that device is best defined as an 'opportunity to learn'. "

Opportunity to learn? Learn what? From whom? I am disinclined to buy a Meego device from a company who's clearly looking out for Microsoft's interest.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by cheve View Post
"with 90 percent of current Windows Phone 7 customer saying they would recommend it to others" -- just wondering how many WP7 customers are there now?
I'm a WP7 customer and I recommend it to all my friends. We've been expecting an update for a while now, but thats nothing that I didn't experience, and worse, with my Nokia n900.

Originally Posted by fraaaaanka View Post
90% of the 90% work for Microsoft or hold shares in Microsoft!!! (they did the survey outside the store opposite Microsofts head office)
I neither work for Microsoft nor own its stock. I question the accuracy of a survey that was carried out OUTSIDE THE STORE NEXT TO MICROSOFT CAMPUS. I also question the intelligence of someone who would think that survey would in any way be accurate as you seem to suggest...

How will a Nokia WP7 device differ from any other OEM?
Good question. They did say they had far more power of customization than any other OEM, so I guess thats as good of an answer as you're going to get for now.

Only complaints I ever heard about Symbian were in the media
Oh come off it. Symbian today is horrible. The only people who don't know realize that are tech-illiterate or just plain dumb. I'll assume your girlfriend is tech-illiterate.

N8 has sold double the amount of all WP7 devices combined
Well no ****. WP7 is brand spankin new. Nokia's been around forever and has its marketing fingers well dug in.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I'm a Maemo 5 customer and I recommend it to all my friends I think could actually appreciate the device (and those who I think care about my full opinion, rather than just my. So what exactly does that say about anything? All OSs have people who'll recommend them.

Originally Posted by mmurfin
Oh come off it. Symbian today is horrible. The only people who don't know realize that are tech-illiterate or just plain dumb. I'll assume your girlfriend is tech-illiterate.
So are the users of iPhones. What exactly does that say? Also, know what? I have neither used Symbian or WP7, but last I checked, Symbian actually lets you do more than WP7, by far. Like, you know, take out your SD card and still use your phone.

Also, by the same logic, here's my argument: People who are ethically conscientious shouldn't want anything to do with WP7, iOS, and, meh, Android is passable, but not as much as the alternatives. The less control the phone gives you, and the more control it gives the device maker and the phone service provider, the less you should be willing to support that product with your money, simply due to the fact that the more you reinforce that pattern, the less humanity benefits in the long run, and feeding that isn't really a good thing.

Yeah, there's holes in what I just said - that's the point, though: There's even more holes in dismissing Symbian not-dislikers as tech-illiterate.

How about realizing that every device is liked by different people depending on what lack of features they can tolerate, vs what features they feel they need, and then realizing that after that, there's personal preference and tech literacy and marketing hype over that.

Tech literacy has nothing to do with whether or not your phone digitally 'in-growing' into your SD card, or not supporting basic functionality like being able to connect to 'hidden' WiFi access points, or giving you access to the file system, is okay or not for you.

Not saying that I don't think there's legitimate ethics issues entangled in the whole cell-phone world right now, but it doesn't make people who buy iStuff unethical by default.

Originally Posted by rm42
Opportunity to learn? Learn what? From whom? I am disinclined to buy a Meego device from a company who's clearly looking out for Microsoft's interest.
Actually, the great thing about MeeGo is that it matters ****-all who makes the device - if it's still even marginally like the original MeeGo, it should be possible to just strip the closed stuff out of it, and run vanilla Linux Foundation MeeGo, and then you're not dependent on anyone for support, unless your hardware breaks. And then you can just pick based on hardware quality and/or warranty protection offered.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
On top of the whole idea...

One thing I found particular amuzing the MS CEO said in the announcement, Nokia customers will be able to access X-BOX live which is very much linked to to wp7 devices.

...I really cannot stand the idea of having to pay for such a service on top of buying individual games, for those who are not familiar with x-box live, it means after you purchase an expensive xbox game if you want to play it (online), then you have to pay an additional subscription, however if you buy the same game for a playstation or pc, then you will not be forced to have to pay for such services and you can still play any game online, in fact that is one of the reasons why xbox is a lot cheaper then playstation 3(i know psx3 addtionally has a blue-ray).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
XBOX Live Silver doesn't cost anything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
"We expect to deliver a MeeGo-related device later this year but that device is best defined as an 'opportunity to learn'. "

Isn't that basically what they have been saying about Maemo? "This is step 4 of 5..." Oh well, looks like the N900 will be my first and last Nokia phone. I don't like Android, and hate Apple... Maybe we can start getting Beagle boards and make our own phones and have Kubuntu Mobile run on them... Hmmm, a Canonical Phone.. that could be interesting.

Every 6 months we could have free updates, with LTS releases for really stable users.

slaapliedje

Posting from my N900, Like a Boss.

Tags
crybabies, what a douche