Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
well you do have some advantages of unlocked phones, you can sign up for service with your own equipment, waiving those fees, and it also protects you from paying mandatory smartphone data plans as they are unable to tell what kind of device it is.
They don't waive the fees. You still pay for data once you use those frequencies.

Seriously. The US carrier/market system is ****ed up.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lore View Post
When did Americans stop caring about competition and free markets? How come free Americans don't mind being screwed around by mobile phone carriers? I'm Italian and too many things are wrong in my Country but in the last 10 years the USA have grown similar to Italy in many ways - except in Italy carriers are bound by law to have "open" contracts. Peace to all Americans. Love your Country!
Americans also believe in freedom. Phone companies have the freedom to do whatever they want, you can't expect them to do what you, the guy with money in your pocket want.
So for example, I will buy an Android phone instead, which means that Nokia will lose my money. And there are others like me too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Richmond, VA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
They don't waive the fees. You still pay for data once you use those frequencies.

yeah its horrible and imagine when you have no choice and have to side with at&t or cdma...if that goes through that is.

The Following User Says Thank You to brandonc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
I swear half that some dude from Nokia opens his mouth it's bad news for the N9. Can they just STFU I don't know how many more of this I can read before I change my mind about the N9.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
nokia is ****ing up big.

killing s40 also for a horrible selling wp7?

nokia is ****ed.

hello android.

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
In terms of strategy this makes no sense to get rid of the S40 line in North America. There still remains a market for feature phones and especially the type of phone that costs under $40 for prepaid plans, and emergency calls.

To clear up the arena for a very direct campaign on WP7 flavored devices is one thing, but to say we don't need to sell the phones that kept us afloat any longer is ridiculous. Honestly the N9 not being available in North America is not an issue to me because the phone is DOA anyways. It really is a beautiful concept, and it is designed superbly. The issue with the N9 is that it is more so apparent that Nokia doesn't want to support it than the N900. They are selling it in markets like Finland because they don't want it to hamper the WP7 draft pick.

I am actually willing to try a WP7 made by Nokia, so long as it has a HW KB, and not solely rely on touch. Also selling the phones through carrier partner channels guarantees better control of the product, the product promotions, and its' uptake commercially. But S40 phones still have a place in the North America market.

you know whats funny?

eldar this say they were doing this, s40 was going to flushed.

nokia have no way of recovering.

lets hope s40 its turning into a s100

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

I'm not sure I understand this issue, but I'm paying Tmobile $15 a month plis $1.50 for any day I want to use the Internet. No sign of throttling, either. That seems pretty cheap for my N900. Of course, I am home using WiFi most days so I don't pay for the Internet then.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
you know whats funny?

eldar this say they were doing this, s40 was going to flushed.

nokia have no way of recovering.

lets hope s40 its turning into a s100
I've been having difficulty understanding you, but this one takes the prize for the most cryptic word-salad I've seen in a while. I normally hold back on pointing out broken English, but this one's just too broken and I really WANT to know what you're saying. :P Can you PLEASE, PLEASE rephrase your thoughts again so that we can try to understand it?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Funniest thing to me is how they've tricked folks around here into developing for a dead end device that won't even be available in a lot of major markets (except as grey market with no warranty support).

So, in reality, Nokia will produce the contractual minimum amount of N9's, with a limited market release. Designed for failure.

I feel for the poor Meego/Harmattan team that was hoping and pray the N9 would take off and corporate would see the light.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, buysomethinelse, facepalm(tm), galactus, goodbye nokia, just stop, n9 rox