Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Console output works, but it destorts the backupmenu screen after the console output is updated.
This is a known problem, you can safely ignore it. Everything will still work exactly as expected.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Just a little unpleasant if you don't know what keys to press

Again, thanks a lot. I have learned a few things today.

Will do a little more research, but will probable choose for a restore backup from backup menu. That backup will we be quite old, but I afterwards I hope to rsync more recent data from my PC to my N900.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Just a little unpleasant if you don't know what keys to press
Yeah, I see. Well, "t" + "any key to continue" is for starting a root shell (if you want to remove "modprobe fbcon" again )

Again, thanks a lot. I have learned a few things today.
I'm glad to hear that . Feel free to contact me by PM if you need to know something anytime.

Will do a little more research, but will probable choose for a restore backup from backup menu. That backup will we be quite old, but I afterwards I hope to rsync more recent data from my PC to my N900.
I would first try what I suggested before: adding a multitude of sleep commands in the boot process (and continue to add more as you'll get closer to the failing command) to find out exactly where it is failing. To be honest, I'm very curious myself what causes the reboot loop. Anyway, good luck restoring.

The Following User Says Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Oops, perhaps I have been a little premature in restoring rootfs seeing your advice to use the sleep command.

Anyway, I did a rootfs restore (no optfs) and the phone boots fine now. I might do some extra rsync of the rootfs to make it more up-to-date. And then: installing your new busybox of course

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Second attempt for install...

All looks good, TMPDIR is parsed as expected and for example ping is executable as user.

So I would say: thumbs up for your well designed solution and an upload to the repo!

edit:
found the reason for my initial reboot loop: just before installing busybox, I replaced /usr/bin/camera-ui, but forgot to make it executable again. And camera-ui is loaded on boot...

Last edited by ade; 2011-12-24 at 19:35.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure if this bug belongs here at all, but I have no better idea, what may cause it - so, if I'm going to talk silly things here, just say a word:

Yesterday, I left my Phone with some things opened, and due to battery being low, BME shut device down. For reasons unknown, something went bad, and my /dev/mmcblk0p2 went FCKD'ed totally, bringing device (for the first time, I must admit) to state of not being able to go past five dots.

I've opened backupmenu and recovery console, ensured that /dev/mmcblk0p2 is unmounted (just in case) and started fsck.ext4 (I use ext4 for home). fsck detected 3 wrong inodes and "unexpected inconsistency", so I was forced to run it manually, assuming "yes" to repair questions, as there were literally hundreds of them.

After passing stage 1 and 2 of fsck'ing (in fact, at this point, it was
e2fsck if I recall correctly), my showstopper bug manifested itself:

Code:
Pass 3A: Optimizing directories
Segmentation fault
#:
Any further attempts resulted in fsck segfaulting in exact same moment. In desperation, I also tried fsck.ext3 and even fsck.ext2, but they segfaulted in exactly same stage too. As You may presume, it left my partition in such state, that device *was* bootable, but acted like with totally empty /dev/mmcblk0p2 - You can imagine rest, I ended up restoring optFS from backup.

---

So, as I have said, I have no idea if fsck is related to busybox-power at all, but it seems it fails totally, when more advanced repair operations are required, Sorry, if it is not related here - in such case, please give me a hint about correct place, and I'll repost story there.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Yup, I've had on-device fsck pop a vein on my phone (albeit in a less critical situation). Probably related to running low on memory.

fsck is not a part of busybox, so in that way it is not the right place here.

Did you run the fsck using the N900? Then maybe it was an option to do the fsck from a linux PC, using backup menu USB mass storage mode on N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Thanks for comments - Yea, I was doing it on device itself - as I described, from backupmenu recovery root terminal. Unfortunately, I'm on a trip, so I don't have access to any linuxbox (even via liveCD).

Anyway, if fsck isn't by any means tied to changes made by busybox-power, it seems unrelated here, so sorry iDont.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Hmm, it's still probably a valid concern for the Maemo community.

We're running an ancient version of e2fsprogs (1.41.3/2008 Oct 12) which is 12 stable versions behind the latest version (1.42/2011 Nov 29).

e2fsprogs-power tiem?