Posts: 27 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Dalat
+ As anyone can see, some apps on the iPhone can enlarge the photo from 2 Megapixel (iPhone 2G-3G) to 4-5 Megapixel, and somehow to 7 Megapixel but the photo still in good quality.

+ Ehhhhh >_<, the N900 has a 5MP camera, but anyone can make a photo capture program that can enlarge the photo with low noise and good quality?

=> Hopefully, maybe N900 5MP camera could be enlarged to 8-10 MP, hahaha

Sorry dude, you can't make new pixels from nothing. If the sensor has 5MP, the best you can do is interpolate from them and try to make it not look like crap. It's quite pointless IMHO. You only really need high resolution for large prints and crops anyway, so interpolation really does not good there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thearcane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@May Maple: Can you quote the app/technique that they use to upsample the picture and if it's really any good?

I have the iPhone 3GS and I can tell you that the picture quality is really subpar...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
???..... do you have a link to said app? I am with thearcane... you can't make pixels out of nothing.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
You CAN make pixels out of nothing. You can't retrieve any info that wasn't captured beforehand.

Besides, with the optics being what they are and the small sensor you don't really get all that info in all its splendor anyway. It doesn't even have 5 MPx, nobody has at this dimensions. Why try harder?

But, for reference, it can be done, and, with the right upscaling algos, it could *look* better, with smooth lines instead of jagged edges from the demosaicing algo. But, that's probably triple storage for an apparent improvement of a few percent.

Can be done post-factum on a PC just fine, however. N900 with its limited RAM is a bad target for this. Humongous images in high bit count is the worst thing you can do to RAM. And CPU. Fully upscaling and nicely processing on N900 would likely be a 30 minutes job.

Storing an image in 20 MPx (double the pixels up and left is 4:1) in 16 bit means 6 bytes per pixel, maybe 8 for transparency or reference lumina, that's 160M RAM, NOT COUNTING temporary buffers for the math, swapping up and down the image, etc. Happy swapping.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
just interpolate. is 30 trillion megapixels enough?

(and what for you need those megapixels anyway?!? 11mpix is enough for me for anything when you don't need to crop. and that would include enough image information for 3m high posters........
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Because megapixels are like spinning rims and oversized spoilers.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Dalat
Errrrrrrrrrr man! what's with you guys? I just want to have someone know about this technology and help to make a better Photo Capture program. Not what I want is post this thread for you guys to blame me about loving a big photo with higher megapixel! >_<

+ What I really want is to know about this technology to enlarge photo without damage the photo. Is that bad or what?

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by May Maple View Post
Errrrrrrrrrr man! what's with you guys? I just want to have someone know about this technology and help to make a better Photo Capture program. Not what I want is post this thread for you guys to blame me about loving a big photo with higher megapixel! >_<

+ What I really want is to know about this technology to enlarge photo without damage the photo. Is that bad or what?
Tell us the name of the program.. then we could see what technic that are used.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Kiev, UA
i strongly advice the topicstarter to read a book of Ansel Adams, and stop pointless pursuit of additional megapixels

although it wasn't an answer to your initial question