Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Las Vegas
I just updated last night to the latest build of NAVIT and it seems like a huge improvement has been made as far as performance was concerned. The map was refreshing very quickly with very little lag. Looking at the IRC logs it looks like there was a bug that caused Navit to continually re-calculate a route that was fixed. It also didn't die on me in the first 5 minutes, I was able to drive for about 20 minutes without any issues.

I'm pretty happy with the performance end now but usability wise there are still some issues. The biggest thing for me now is I can't figure out a way to increase the font size of the street names. Does anyone know what item in the Navit.xml file controls font sizes for streets?

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
I have : <itemgra item_types="highway_city,highway_land,street_4_cit y,street_4_land,street_n_lanes" order="10-18">
<text text_size="8"/>
to set text size. I believe there are limits to what it responds to, but try playing with it.

found todays svn works much better.. at least it's not immediately crashed when calculating a route.

Is that a line that you added to the Navit.xml or is it an existing line that was already there that you edited?

One more question you might be able to answer dwould... I looked all over the wiki for this one but couldn't find an answer.

Is there a way to keep Navit from redrawing the map when I am not moving? Currently if I'm sitting at a stop light the map keeps changing orientation because there is not an accurate heading information. The result is I can't read anything on the map (especially with the small font sizes).

Okay, for those of you that were also wondering how to increase the font sizes... I found the complete answer at the bottom of dwould's blog site.

http://danielwould.wordpress.com/navit-stuff/

The tags you are looking for are the following:

<itemgra item_types=”highway_city,highway_land,street_4_cit y,street_4_land,street_n_lanes” order=”10-18″>
<text text_size=”7″/>
</itemgra>
<itemgra item_types=”street_2_city,street_2_land,street_3_c ity,street_3_land,ramp” order=”11-18″>
<text text_size=”8″/>
</itemgra>
<itemgra item_types=”street_nopass,street_0,street_1_city,s treet_1_land” order=”12-18″>
<text text_size=”9″/>
</itemgra>

Change the text_size="x" to any value that is 15 or less. Anything greater and Navit will crash when loading. Again note that this is all on his blog site so reference it as necessary.

Now onto other items to address. Does anyone know how to change the units from kilometers to miles...?

I spoke with cp15 on Navit IRC the other night and brought up the issue regarding the max font size of 15. He fixed the issue and as of SVN 2311 you should now be able to specify up to a maximum font size of 48.

I currently have most street names a font size of 20 and it looks pretty good with Navit. The next thing I need to figure out is how to specify the font type and perhaps to make it bold.

For anyone that is interested, I updated the Navit Wiki with a new layout. You can check it out along with the other two layouts already listed by dwould and lemmmyslender here...

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
This is a bit old thread, but I have been keeping an eye on this Navit project and experimented with Navit on my N810. Lately the Navit has started to crash whenever I try to access the menus. (By clicking on the map.)

Before it worked fine, but the last few weeks it does not work any more. Currently I have the svn-2852 version installed.

Anyone using this version without any problems?

There was some updates to the Navit.xml file that started causing this. Whenever you update navit from svn it also updates the default navit.xml as well. However, if you are using a custom version of navit.xml in your home/.navit directory then Navit always uses that config file instead.

I am guessing you might have downloaded the example config files that I uploaded and linked to from the Navit wiki. I have uploaded new example config files that should resolve the crashing issue. You can find them here linked from this page:

http://wiki.navit-project.org/index....n770/n800/n810

There has been discussion to someday have a system that auto-generates a config file that is designed for the n810. Currently though the developer of Navit has other priorities he is working on and has not gotten around to fully implementing such a feature as of yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to adamis For This Useful Post:

Tags
gps, navit, roadmap, svn