Hi guys

I have been using my N900 for a month and love it. the UI needs minor polishing but otherwise I am in love.

I have 2 questions:

1. when looking at a specific contact - is it possible to jump right into the 'conversations' view from there, or must I open Conversations app and find the contact again?I have found the communications history, but it doesnt seem to show skype instand messages, or allow me to continue a conversation.

2. I find it a bit diconcerting to get to the phone app. whats the quickest way? (I think it should have its own dedicated hw button. how bout using the camera button to take one right to the phone if the camera is closed?) Or is there some obscure 'long press' 8 am missing.

help appreciated!

Pieter
South Africa

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
1. Open the selected Contact. Click on the Skype Instant message button to continue. Atleast works for me.

2. You could add a shortcut for the phone in the desktop or enable the phone mode to be started automatically when you put the phone in portrait mode. This can be done from the phone application settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to chainreaction For This Useful Post:
ok ok I am a dope. solved my first question. The option that says 'skype IM' did the trick. Althought, in my defence, a lnk to 'conversation' which should include smses, would haved been more intuitive

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by pieter_jh View Post
...2. I find it a bit diconcerting to get to the phone app. whats the quickest way? (I think it should have its own dedicated hw button. how bout using the camera button to take one right to the phone if the camera is closed?) Or is there some obscure 'long press' 8 am missing....
Good question. Near as I can tell, these are the only ways:

1. Press the Power button to bring up the system menu and touch "Phone".

2. Put a shortcut to the Phone app on the desktop.

3. In the Phone app configuration menu, touch "Turning Control" and enable "Launch by turning". Thus, when you turn the phone to an upright portrait position, it will (at least most of the time) launch the Phone app.

4. Touch the application picker icon (upper left corner) and then touch the Phone app icon.

Oh yeah, that Launch by turning feature won't bring the Phone app to the front if it is already running.

Last edited by bgrigor; 2010-01-07 at 11:14.

Would it be a good idea to have one of the desktops to be a permanent phone window? That way the phone would be more easy to acces. (I use gloves outside and clicking the small icons is troublesome.)

I still think a dedicated hardware button to launch/maximize the phone - or otherwise the camera button when the shutter is closed. All the other options need at least 2 or 3 swipes or clicks depending on where you are in the UI? Comments

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Northern Ireland
Originally Posted by RDJEHV View Post
Would it be a good idea to have one of the desktops to be a permanent phone window? That way the phone would be more easy to acces. (I use gloves outside and clicking the small icons is troublesome.)
you could just have a small phone icon in the same place (say bottom right corner) on each of your desktops

Tags
contacts, conversations, feature, fremantle, instant message, maemo, maemo 5, skype