Notices

The KML files have a "red fence" where the height is based on speed showing your journey.

They are split every N minutes (the default is 5) but all will load into Google Earth where the time slider will work.

Internally they contain the raw GPS data (so if you want actual altitude, etc. you can post-process - also the light and temperature from the tablet).

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
The KML files have a "red fence" where the height is based on speed showing your journey.

They are split every N minutes (the default is 5) but all will load into Google Earth where the time slider will work.
OK, got that now. I hadn't realised that Google Earth combined the files you open one after another into a single sequence. That's why I imagined my first KMZ file contained only the first 5 minutes of my journey and my last KMZ file the entire journey.

Is the kml2kmz just a gzip?

Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
Internally they contain the raw GPS data (so if you want actual altitude, etc. you can post-process - also the light and temperature from the tablet).
Would be nice to get Google Earth to replay the KMZs in flight sim mode.

Still, the kml/kmz logging from minigpsd seems to be working OK for me now, so thanks very much for the help tz1. Nice work.

> Is the kml2kmz just a gzip?
This is just a wrapper around gzip that changes gzip headers to (pk)zip headers and the central directory which is what kmz files are. Most GPS data compresses over 10:1.

>Would be nice to get Google Earth to replay the KMZs in flight sim mode.
It will bounce every 5 minute kml - there is a "lookat". I didn't want to clutter it up too much and it can be post-processed.

I did a 5 minute split to minimize problems when there might be bad data (found a problem with minus signs inside XML comments, occasional system crash, etc.). Also so you can more easily discard dead data or find the point you want.

(losing 1 hour of log is worse than 5 minutes, and searching thousands of lines for a bad marker is much easier than searching millions of lines).

tz1,

Has Google suspended your API key for maps? I get a key error..

also, this is in the dogmap.html source:

Google has disabled usage of the Maps API for this application. See the Terms of Service for more information:

several pages back someone requested using their own key in a config file.. This would prevent your key from being suspended..

The source is available.

The key is in the source.

I've not had problems.

Tags
gps, obd2