Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Man, I'm betting the Maemo Devices guys REALLY hate me now for that blog post...
Quite contrary, if you ask from me. The passion that you have put to it makes me believe that we still may have a chance..

It's 3 am local time in Finland and I am still in the halfway of this mega thread(s). I hope I can still digest few more, as we have today (at office time) very related discussion.

What more can you ask ?

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by harrihakulinen View Post
What more can you ask ?
Go for the throat!

It is good to hear that developers inside Nokia appreciate the opinions of the community at large. Perhaps if the people who are making decisions that drive people like querty12 away take these criticisms seriously, they can reverse course and retain people whom they won with an idea instead of promises of riches.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Qt is widely known and available, and Nokia has left no doubts as to what the platform will be down the line (not Maemo, MeeGo, not Symbian^3/4, but Qt.)
Would be nice if the n900 could benefit from commercial Qt goodness to quench all the bitterness in this forum.

Is learning Qt comparable in difficulty to Python? Does anyone know?

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-18 at 00:30.

There's too much variation in the OSes and devices Nokia has:

S40
S60
S60v5
Symbian^3
Symbian^4 (???)
Maemo (several different versions)
Meego

There's probably more but compare this to:

Apple: iOs
Google: Android

Wonder why their software is so much better on the high end devices? They have focus. I bought the N97 only to find out it didn't do half of the stuff it was advertised to do well at all. I bought the N900 and it's sure as hell 100x times better than the piece of garbage S60v5 is (no offense, it's god awful for a $600 phone).

I'm happy with my N900 and I'm smart enough to not ever buy anything Nokia is offering again until they get their act together. This whole lack of full support for Meego only reinforces my theory that they don't really care who they screw over in the short-term. Eventually, I'd like to see how well Meego runs on a N900 compared to something like Android 2.2 on a Droid (or whatever device doesn't have full support, if any).

Anyways, I'm just venting. I still don't totally understand what they're doing and talking with my dad it seems it's a Finnish thing to end up like this (my family is from Finland). He even talked about how Nokia dropped the ball with Apple back when they were developing the iPod line; I'm not sure of the details but he said Nokia lost a lot of money because they didn't team up with Apple at that point.

Oh well. They need to adapt or go bankrupt.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmangs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Would be nice if the n900 could benefit from Qt to quench all the bitterness in this forum.

Is learning Qt comparable in difficulty to Python? Does anyone know?
There are python bindings for Qt that would make it less of a hurdle (google for PySide and PyQt).

Standard offer: if you run into problems, especially if you feel a bit overwhelmed by things, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll be happy to try help sort you on the straight path.

In addition, watch this space(tm). I'm thinking on doing some developer outreach/education work in the near future.

I'll be announcing it on TMO/meego forums and relevant mailing lists once I've got the ideas sorted out in my head a bit more.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
I still love all the nokia phones I had from the 3210 to the n95 to the E90 to the e71 to the e75. I just feel the n900, which was brilliant on paper, was something of an experiment to them... with the "small people" as the BP exec. said recently (he was Scandinavian too actually).

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-18 at 00:42.

Originally Posted by jmangs View Post
There's too much variation in the OSes and devices Nokia has:

S40
S60
S60v5
Symbian^3
Symbian^4 (???)
Maemo (several different versions)
Meego

There's probably more but compare this to:

Apple: iOs
Google: Android
Three things you don't fully go into, or perhaps don't know:

1) A lot of the items you list here are related (or descended) from each other, i.e: Symbian^3 and Symbian^4, S60 and S60v5.. are all from the same 'base' family of Symbian. MeeGo is to be the child of Maemo.
2) Nokia sell a *lot* of different types of devices. It's great to say 'have one OS' when you have *one* type of device, which is a high-end touchscreen device, with equally high end hardware. It's a bit more difficult to get something like Maemo onto a 40 euro phone.

(On the same point, yes, there is a bit of overlap between Maemo and Symbian, but the roadmap quite publically was to see Symbian phased out from the high end by 2011, IIRC)
3) Qt is slowly but surely rolling onto as many platforms as possible, meaning that (for developers) it doesn't matter what the underlying gunk is, they still can (fairly easily) target the lot. In practice, this isn't going to be seamless due to UI differences (touch vs nontouch etc), but it's a good start.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
There are python bindings for Qt that would make it less of a hurdle (google for PySide and PyQt).

Standard offer: if you run into problems, especially if you feel a bit overwhelmed by things, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll be happy to try help sort you on the straight path.
Thanks, I make websites in my spare time. I was starting to get to grips with basic Python and may continue that for a bit and try Qt later.

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
I still love all the nokia phones I had from the 3120 to the n95 to the E90 to the e71 to the e75. I just feel the n900 was something of an experiment to them... with the "small people" as the BP exec. said recently.
Yes. As was the 770, the N800 and the N810. This is the 'step 4 of 5' thing you keep hearing about if you read around a lot, where Qt and fluffy kittens are the end-origin where things are hopefully ready for the consumer.

We'll see.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by harrihakulinen View Post
Quite contrary, if you ask from me. The passion that you have put to it makes me believe that we still may have a chance..

It's 3 am local time in Finland and I am still in the halfway of this mega thread(s). I hope I can still digest few more, as we have today (at office time) very related discussion.

What more can you ask ?
You're alright, Harri. Hopefully we can meet. Akademy 2010 (I'm presenting)? MeeGo Conference?

Tags
misstep, nokia