Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
And.. I have one chip on my USB cover. No chemicals, just usage.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
I too have this on the SIM holder and a tiny bit on the edge just next to the bump in the USB cap but what I have noticed is that this chipping is like a coating coming off but if you peel it off it will reveal the same black colour but its not identical to the coated matte black but not so easily visible in my case as its not as bad as yours. Also one thing I've noticed is once you have this it keeps getting worst & worst as in my case it started with a tiny bit but now its quite big.

And I was thinking it was just limited to these removal parts the USB cap & the SIM holder but now it turns out its not. I am already looking to get a SIM holder but waiting it to get worst before I get a new one and not sure either where to get it from exactly as I'm in Australia.

1. Youtube videos shared on the sites to be shown in stock browser & played using built-in Youtube player - Vote here
  2. Sliding to answer/reject calls while in locked state lags painfully - Vote here
  3. Availability & Transfers window always open from the bottom of the window despite whichever direction you put them away - Vote here
  4. System wide file manager support - Vote here

Join the Skype video support on N9 petition on twitter here.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
In this episode of Steve Litchfield's "Phone Show Chat" #127, he has a guest from Engadget (Myriam Joire), who describes in great detail what the problem is, a 'coating' of sorts that does indeed chip and peel away.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/downl...how/psc127.mp3

Start listening at the 17 minutes mark. He says he has confirmation from somebody in charge of industrial design at Nokia that the N9s (and Lumia 800 and 900) are not solid colour, but actually coated in "clear-coat". Very interesting. I'd like to know if this applies just to the black, or to the other colours as well.

Can't help but feel a tad cheated, after remembering Marko's N9 launch speech, and the whole "colour runs right through" part. I suppose it still does, but it means your beautiful phone can end up looking like it's got peeling skin like Goldmember

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
So if I peel off the layer on my USB cover, will it all be fine?

Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
In this episode of Steve Litchfield's "Phone Show Chat" #127, he has a guest from Engadget (Myriam Joire), who describes in great detail what the problem is, a 'coating' of sorts that does indeed chip and peel away.

Start listening at the 17 minutes mark. He says he has confirmation from somebody in charge of industrial design at Nokia that the N9s (and Lumia 800 and 900) are not solid colour, but actually coated in "clear-coat". Very interesting. I'd like to know if this applies just to the black, or to the other colours as well.

Can't help but feel a tad cheated, after remembering Marko's N9 launch speech, and the whole "colour runs right through" part. I suppose it still does, but it means your beautiful phone can end up looking like it's got peeling skin like Goldmember
This interview is clearly staged interviews from fake N9 makers.

clearly

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
So if I peel off the layer on my USB cover, will it all be fine?
I don't want to say yes but it might be true with the white one but with the matte ones the colour underneath are bit slick and shiny and hence won't look the same as the coated matte colour.

1. Youtube videos shared on the sites to be shown in stock browser & played using built-in Youtube player - Vote here
  2. Sliding to answer/reject calls while in locked state lags painfully - Vote here
  3. Availability & Transfers window always open from the bottom of the window despite whichever direction you put them away - Vote here
  4. System wide file manager support - Vote here

Join the Skype video support on N9 petition on twitter here.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And.. I have one chip on my USB cover. No chemicals, just usage.
The USB cover is made of steel. Obviously it is painted. It is the polycarbonate housing we are discussing.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post

As I said earlier. A hardening "coating" on polycarbonate is a normal process to prevent scratches. All polycarbonate headlights on cars have this coating.

Nevertheless, if this is true about the N9 and Lumias, I really do feel cheated. One of the finer design aspects of the N9 was the solid (throughout) polycarbonate housing. The idea that my N9 is made out of a single block of PC, carved and shaped, and that's it. It is a very nice idea. Then some genius at Nokia decided to taint it with some "coating", I mean the whole design aspect of the N9 is flushed down the toilet.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by specc View Post
As I said earlier. A hardening "coating" on polycarbonate is a normal process to prevent scratches. All polycarbonate headlights on cars have this coating.
You also argued primarily that people with this issue had N9's w/fake housings etc.
You were absolute in your knowing of this....
I have to agree though, it is somewhat of a disappointment if true.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-10 at 10:11.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
You also argued primarily that people with this issue had N9's w/fake housings etc.
You were absolute in your knowing of this....
I was not. In fact I explicitly said that coating was a likely possibility, but I did not believe it was a paint.

As it stands, this seems to be the fact. It is not painted, but the surface is prepped with a clear coating (matte or shiny), similar to what is done with head lights on cars. However, this does not rule out the possibility of fakes nor the possibility of discarded batches entering the market.

In any case this truly sucks. It strips away the design edge the N9 had. Now it is just poor engineering.