For those of you interested in writing Qt and QML software on Python:

The PySide project has released PySide: Python for Qt version 1.0.0 after a long stabilization period. In addition to the source code release, project community packagers have already released binary packages for all major Linux distributions, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Nokia’s Maemo 5 platform. With this release, the team regards PySide to be production quality and they will restart feature development in parallel to the continued bugfixing effort.

PySide is a Nokia-sponsored Python Qt bindings project, providing bindings to not only the complete Qt 4.7 framework (including Qt Quick/QML) but also Qt Mobility, as well as to generator tools for rapidly generating new bindings for any C++ libraries. Due to the LGPL-licensing of the bindings, PySide can be used both for Free/Open-source and commercial software development.

The PySide project is developed in the open, with all facilities one would expect from any modern OSS project such as all code in a git repository, an open Bugzilla for reporting bugs, and an open design process. PySide welcomes any contribution without requiring a transfer of copyright.

See the PySide website for download links and more information:

http://www.pyside.org

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mairas For This Useful Post:
Great news. With pySide, Qt SDK 1.1 coming soon, and Meego N900 dev edition, things are looking good considering the whole MSFT thing.

The N900 is dead. Long live the N900!

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
i will be installing this shortly.

I also found this page - it details the differences (minor?) between PyQt and PySlide.

From the documentation:
Also note that PySide uses different names for the tools scripts:

* pyuic4 -> pyside-uic
* pyrcc4 -> pyside-rcc4
* pylupdate4 -> pyside-lupdate

Last edited by johnel; 2011-03-04 at 13:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Good work! Shall be upgrading from rc1. Pythonistas are about to become first class citizens

PySide support in QT Creator at some stage would be fab.

What is the rationale, to use Python+QML instead of Python+QT (Pyside or PyQt) straight?
I have studied abit QML, with Qt+C++, and I kinda felt frustrated one should use two syntaxes and programming languages in any GUI-job.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
I get the impression that QML is more aimed at smartphone apps while Qt proper is more aimed at PC apps

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
What is the rationale, to use Python+QML instead of Python+QT (Pyside or PyQt) straight?
I have studied abit QML, with Qt+C++, and I kinda felt frustrated one should use two syntaxes and programming languages in any GUI-job.
You already had two syntaxes, it's just that one was so appaling and limited that nobody used it directly QML (with QtQuick designer) is the bigger/better/fancier version of QWidgets .ui files (with QtDesigner). The difference is that the simplicity/flashiness of QML encourages you to play around with the UI, while .ui files were something that was best kept locked away in a basement.