Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
I can confirm that this qemu-i386 binary works on the n950.

The Following User Says Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
Sorry to revive this thread but im having the same problem as sanylcs, Megaltariak and Applesaws: Bash cannot fork.

Firstly I am using a chroot environment with sshfs from an ubuntu 10.04 box (mounting the directories mentioned by damion except the /usr/X11, as it is no longer placed there in modern debians).

I tried chrooting into the environment and i got the "cannot execute /bin/sh: No such file..." error.
I then tried manually invoking ld-linux.so.2 and i got a "syntax error: "(" unexpected..." error
I then tried loading bash from qemu directly (..qemu-i386 -L lib bin/bash), but i once again failed atrociously as it did not show any output (just the same happened when I ran ls)
After loading ../qemu lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path lib bin/bash bash runs but however cannot fork.
xterm cannot open because it cannot fork bash.
Basically I can run x86 executables as long as they do not fork.

I once did this a while back on the ps3 to run wine and had bash forking problems, however i cannot recall the fix i used. I believe because the kernel doesn't know it needs to run ld-linux.so.2 with qemu (even though i did the binfmt magic) every time it is called on a fork it fails, or maybe it is the executable and my n900 has different revision of hardware to damion's ?? I don't know, I am no big expert, just a linux lover . I would like to know if you devs and whatnot can guide me to getting the kernel to run ld-linux automatically with qemu to see if that is the problem. How do i add this ELF header to the binfmt?? Or any other suggestions??

Thank you for the time and keep the awesome work up

Pablo

Edit: By the way my old qemu thread for wine I cannot find however I found the one for PCSX2 on PS3 linux, no important data but just any possible reference/old idea I forgot/spark of though might appear here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/archive/inde...d-16970-1.html

Edit2: Actually I will also try a pre-nptl linux (i.e. slackware 10.2 I believe I think it was still in the 2.4 realm), just in case that could be the problem, I will update with news

Last edited by pablocrossa; 2011-07-18 at 02:46.

Posts: 856 | Thanked: 1,681 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Aleppo ,Syria
wow didn't know that this is actually possible on N900
great job guys

and @pablocrossa
i don't think that the hardware revision is the problem
maybe it is from chroot
try reinstalling it
apt-get install easy-chroot

or from bash it self

try to install bash3

apt-get install bash3

and make it your
default shell
by

bash-setup

NOTE : HAVEN'T TRY TO REVERSE TO THE DEFAULT N900 SHELL
hope it helps

Last edited by karam; 2011-07-18 at 03:34.

Ok now tried bash3 and bash4 (because 10.04 is bash4) and still the same error, checked I have the right folders mounted, I guess it is the chroot, preparing a new one from good ol' slack 10.2

ok my slackware 10.2 chroot gives me the same problem, I took all the spaces off the binfmt in the tutorial, corrected the dev/pts command and the rest I believe is pretty much the same, but I cannot fork. Can it be that I'm using power kernel?? I don't know what to think...

EDIT: I think I should blame the binfmt magic, I am pretty new to it, it does not load ld-linux.so.2 without calling qemu first, I need to find the elf header of it... hmm...

Last edited by pablocrossa; 2011-07-18 at 09:23.

Ok I believe I have found the problem but I cannot test it right now (I do not have a linux distro available for the next 2 days). I believe it is one of the two following. Either:

1. Binfmt is configured incorrectly so when the binary is going to fork the kernel cannot run the i386 binary and therefor fails, or

2. qemu-i386 binary should be placed within the chroot too, possibly the kernel tries running the x86 binary with /home/user/qemi-i386 from within the chroot, failing.

Could someone test this?? I do not currently have access to a linux box, I might be able to prepare a VM with virtualbox later, but I'm not sure.

Cheers

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Tell me: how do you run this?
You do copy the qemu binary to the path in the chroot, I assume?
That's how I've done it on my desktop, and I've run both BASH and apt-get from a Maemo chroot.
Basically, this is all I do: mount it, copy the appropriate qemu to it's /usr/bin/, chroot into it. It has worked flawlessly unless it's been working with assemblies from some apps.

@Nokia 5700
I copy the binary into the chroot, yes. I still fail, I think binfmt is the problem as I cannot run ./ld-linux.so.2 as it says 'syntax error, ")" unexpected" or something along those lines. I am stuck at this part, bash doesnt fork. I do not know how to proceed, some help with binfmt, I used it a while back on the PS3 but im stuck now. Help?!

EDIT: Maybe the statically compiled /usr/bin/qemu-i386-static could help??

@Damion,
Could you upload a tarball of your chroot? I don't think anyone else has managed to successfully chroot into theirs...

The Following User Says Thank You to Applesaws For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Applesaws View Post
@Damion,
Could you upload a tarball of your chroot? I don't think anyone else has managed to successfully chroot into theirs...
and also check the binfmt is correct, sorry for my persistence