Hello all,

I am part of the real-time communication team and conversations is part of our project. It's good to see people interested in customizing conversation view. The html/css files mentioned above are indeed meant to make it flexible to change.

In upcoming update to N900 there will be theming possiblity for chat conversation view and the smileys. Anyone can then easily write custom themes and upload to maemo-extras. Same goes for smiley themes. We will provide some documentation and examples at some point when the update is released which should make it easy to create new one.

However, sms conversation view is not themeable by above theming support (although still possible to hack like above). It can only theme chat conversation views. We felt that sms conversation view should remain in line with system theme rather than specific IM theming, while IM theming is offered mostly for amusement during chatting.

The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to kh_naba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by kh_naba View Post
Hello all,

I am part of the real-time communication team and conversations is part of our project. It's good to see people interested in customizing conversation view. The html/css files mentioned above are indeed meant to make it flexible to change.
hi, and thank you very much for answering my email and posting here!

i have three questions:

1. in the css-file of the SMSConversation the auto-sizing to 64x64 of the contacts' pictures doesn't work properly. it seems like the picture is starting at the right side and bottom again?! (but the exact same code is working for the singleSMS avatar which is 80x80?!)

2. where are the pictures stored in? (copies are under ~/.osso-abook/photos/ with 144x144 as far as i remember)

3. how does an absolute path have to look like in the .js-file when it's included in the url('...') command? (neither file:///home/user/.osso... nor /home/user/.osso... worked for me)

thx

and here are the three files for my mod and a short how-to:

(0. make a backup of the original files! ^^)
1. place a picture with 60x60 in /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html/ named "avatar.png"
2. replace the three files (html, css, js) in the same folder with my modded files

i tried for about one hour to get absolute paths to work but it doesn't seem to work. so i had to place the png in the html-folder.
also the method which is used for fetching the pictures of the contacts doesn't seem to work for the own avatar - and it's not clickable too. ^^
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip SMSConversation.zip (8.7 KB, 1455 views)

Last edited by b666m; 2010-02-28 at 10:49.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by b666m View Post

1. place a picture with 64x64 in /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html/ named "avatar.png"
2. replace the three files (html, css, js) in the same folder with my modded files

i tried for about one hour to get absolute paths to work but it doesn't seem to work. so i had to place the png in the html-folder.
also the method which is used for fetching the pictures of the contacts doesn't seem to work for the own avatar - and it's not clickable too. ^^
Looks great But if you observe your UI more closely you will notice that it does have one major flaw which will cause your eyes to tire really quickly:

Your picture and the picture of the person on the other end of the conversation are on two opposing sides. Since that moves the beginning of each new line of conversation further to the left / to the right, it causes your eyes to jump between left and right constantly which I find really annoying. It's not by far I know, but it still bugs me.

One solution would be to align all avatars on the left?...

for you an edited html-file with both avatars on the same side (left) ^^

btw: editing html- and css-files isn't that hard. you can easily do it by yourself. just pay attention to where one block begins <div> and ends </div>. you can move this blocks nearly free around.

if the spaces between don't fit, you can align them in the css-file. just look at the names in the css and html. these are the same as you can see. and now you know which block in the css belongs to which block in the html.

happy editing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip both_avatars_left.zip (918 Bytes, 689 views)

Last edited by b666m; 2010-01-22 at 14:14.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
for you an edited html-file with both avatars on the same side (left) ^^
Haha - genius Thanks my friend! Don't get my wrong, I wasn't trying to seriously scrutinise your thoughts here, it was aaall constructive criticism

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland

1. place a picture with 64x64 in /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html/ named "avatar.png"

yippee! this mod rocks bro, cheers!

Originally Posted by Haus3r View Post
Haha - genius Thanks my friend! Don't get my wrong, I wasn't trying to seriously scrutinise your thoughts here, it was aaall constructive criticism
hehe, no problem

i did this avatar-left-right-thingy only to see how this is done.
... and some people in this thread mentioned that it would be cool this way. ^^

the hardest part was to get the own avatar working. too bad that i didn't get the paths working and had to move one avatar in the html-folder. :/

lalala
new layout:

EDIT: you have to download the SMSconversation.zip from one of my posts above too. ^^

EDIT2: there's a small bug (or feature xD) which moves the contact's bubble to the left while beeing clicked - sms_css.zip will fix that.
(so download the first file only if you want to have a look at the bubble moving around when beeing clicked ^^)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip new_one.zip (1.2 KB, 524 views)
File Type: zip sms_css.zip (1.2 KB, 524 views)

Last edited by b666m; 2010-01-24 at 18:26.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
any proposals for other modifications to the window?

Tags
bada rox, his lunchbox