Okay listen: What I meant was I cannot use WiMax like Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi is wonderful because anywhere I can go, I can pick up a signal and just go with it, without signing up or paying anything).

And when I said "that sucks", i meant for most people who don't have data plans (which I believe is most people, in the US at least), its a bummer because we'll never be able to have easy access a long-range wireless internet connection, (or at least it wont be as easy as Wi-Fi). We'd either have to sign up for 3G or WiMax (and i'm guessing WiMax will replace 3G for companies like Sprint and AT&T).

And General, do you have any more information on the N810's successor? Q3 of this year sounds great. But are there any REALLY substantial features you can think of that it'll possess which will give me enough reason to switch to it from the N800?

Originally, (since my N800's touchscreen is kinda busted) I planned to get another one when the N830/850/900 was released, but then I realized that OS2009 development probably won't exist for the 810 or 800 (since those two will probably be less powerful than the successor).

I consider it a mixed blessing. If the hardware and memory is the same, then it's good because I can get another N800 for very cheap, and I can still upgrade to OS2009 (because if the N830/N850/N900 has the exact same existing hardware, it should work on the 810 and 800).

But if it's the same, then it'll be bad for users who were hoping for a more powerful NIT. But i'm sure by then, there'll be other MID's and UMPC's or sub-UMPC/tablets that they can choose from.

If it comes out and its the same (processor/memory) then i'll get an N800 for probably less than $200 (i'd imagine the price would sink fast).

And if its faster, then i'll invest in it (i'm saving up my money). I'd expect SDHC support, Wireless-N, a faster processor and more ram, and a keyboard. A 3mp camera would be great too.

i have a quick question, did anybody know that the n800 was underclocked?
because that seems important to me, because there may be hidden things even now
now on the topic of step 5: it may work fine with the n810 and even the n800, even if they dont quite have the power to keep up, because there may be a modified verson, or it will just increase the power that the tablet has to run on, which means applications wont be universal, but that doesnt mean there will be no os2009 for the n810. and there is no doubt for me that the n900 will have more power under the hood, if you get my meaning.
btw, whats Wireless-N

Wireless n is just a faster 802.11 frequency (i think), like G or B.

even if N becomes popular, i highly doubt G will ever be abandoned, hell even B is still widely in use today. and if its exactly the same, then ill get an n800.

even if it did have a 3mp camera, a keyboard, and wireless n, who cares? the processor and ram woudl still be the same and therefore your experience would be largely the same.

btw why the hell is the N800 still so expensive? I've found retailers that sell the n810 for like $300-320, why is the N800 still in the upper $200s? i found ONE for $200, but i'm looking for a lower price

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wimax is offered in Canada via Rogers as "Portable Internet". It looks like it has been deployed fairly broadly over the major cities. What is interesting is that the price point of Wimax is on par with DSL / Cable, at $30 for "lite" and $50 for "regular", and the speed / caps are also comparable with DSL at 1.5 mbps / 30 GB. This is the same company that asks for your first born child if you want to download an MP3 file over their cell network.

I wonder what is going to happen next with Rogers? What happens if all the smart phones start getting Wimax chips? I wonder if the iPhone will get one next? Hmm..

I also wonder if I can get some little hand-held bluetooth or usb wimax modem. The one that Rogers sells is this desktop monstrosity that they force you to buy for $99.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
really? i thoguht rogers wasnt strict - my canadian cousins said so at least, dont know how reliable they are

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
btw why the hell is the N800 still so expensive? I've found retailers that sell the n810 for like $300-320, why is the N800 still in the upper $200s? i found ONE for $200, but i'm looking for a lower price
I've seen the N800 for less than $200 on Overstockdealz.com...BUT

I'd rather buy the $219 one from TigerDirect (better rep) Where did you find the N810 for $300?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by igor View Post
Sometimes I see discussions on this forum that leave me perplexed: why asking questions to eachother or even try to pry them out from the poor Texrat who, like the undersigned cannot and should not make any statement that even resembles a hint or a promise.
I make it a point to only tease them (and very vaguely) about things that have already been officially mentioned. The funny thing is when people don't recognize what our spokespersons are really hinting at.

Here are good rules of thumb for community guessing games:

-always keep in mind the typical Finnish conservative speaking nature
-keep an eye on the state-of-the-art
-never assume our r&d folks are sleeping or stupid
-connect the dots when you find them

And as always, enjoy the ride.

Is it advisable to purchase an N810 when the N900 series is going to drop later this year? Seems like the N800 might be smarter, unless we see the prices on the N810 drop as a result of the WiMAX version.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Maximos; 2008-03-30 at 05:26.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
There has been no date or model number announced for anything after wimax tablet.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by asqwasqw View Post
i have a quick question, did anybody know that the n800 was underclocked?
because that seems important to me,
yes, somebody knew

Originally Posted by asqwasqw View Post
because there may be hidden things even now
no, there is nothing hidden

Well known unused features are HW acceleration provided by IVA and MBX.

Then, as I already said in an easter egg related thread, N810 has a embedded ucontroller for the LED (see link i nthe same thread) which could be programmed for doing different effects.

Some of the other chips might give the false impression that there is more, but only because those chips are used in phones too. However nothing is really functional.

Going back to the clock settings, I spent quite some time trying to figure out some other working clock configuration (other than those provided by TI) - I still have a whiteboard filled with clock rates, but there is noeasy upgrade.

Some extra juice could be obtained if certain parts are overclocked when others that would fail are not in use, but the implementation is not so trivial.

But the kernel code is there, if anybody wants to try.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post: