Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)

You might regard the Sharp Willcom D4 UMPC (pictured above) as either a competitor to Nokia's N810 Internet Tablet — or maybe as its next-generation successor.

The D4's 5-inch screen has 1024x600 resolution: better than the NIT's 800x480. It comes with 1GB of RAM and a 40GB drive. WiFi and Bluetooth, of course, slide-down keyboard and camera. (No GPS) Befitting a next-generation device, the D4 is the first web tablet utilizing the Atom CPU, Intel's low-power chip for mobiles (maybe I should say "speedy chip" it runs at 1.33GHz).

Yup, the D4 has everything going for it. "Beating Nokia at its own game even," you might say. Except the design parameters for a weblet include more than "screen shows a full web page width." Light weight -- the D4 is twice as heavy as an N810. Fits in a pocket -- the D4 is 1 inch wide and 7.4 inches long; but maybe Sharp's customers have bigger pockets than I do.

Well, sure, they'll need to. At $1525, the D4 obviously requires deep pockets.

Me, I'll be buying weblets in $500 installments -- is a D4 worth more than three N810s?

Not to me, anyway, with my small-in-every-way pockets.
Read the full article.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
... and its running Vista as seen on picture ... i'll stay with Nokia

It's too big. This is what some people want to turn the tablet into, a giant brick. It is also 1500 USD! Not exactly a direct competitor for the IT's.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Nurnberg
windows... zum kotzen.

Originally Posted by arjun-giri View Post
... and its running Vista as seen on picture ... i'll stay with Nokia
yeh! im too.

A conventional hard drive is a deal-breaker, especially for that kind of cash.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
This is what some people want to turn the tablet into, a giant brick.
Pfft . . . hardly. What some people want is to not have all of the useful features sacrificed for an iPhone-like form factor.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Pfft . . . hardly. What some people want is to not have all of the useful features sacrificed for an iPhone-like form factor.

Haha, we have had this conversation before. You and your big 5+ inch screen fitting pants. Funny you should mention the iphone, as it seems many people like the slim, touch only, capacitive screen toting iphone. I like the slim profile and think the N810 is the perfect size, but I would prefer to keep my stylus over the capacitive screen. If we did switch to a finger only screen, many projects will be much more difficult to use, such as KDE. I like KDE, but it was a little too slow for my taste the last time I tried it. I will try it again. Ok, now i'm going off on a tangent...

It looks nice, but the default Windows desktop is the totally wrong interface for it. Look at that line of tiny tiny icons on the taskbar.

Hard drives, lots of RAM and a quick CPU are good things in a portable device. Eyestrain isn't.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to piku For This Useful Post:
The question (as always) is: does it run linux?

This is essentially a UMPC with a sliding screen instead of a folding one. Completely off base here, though I don't doubt there is a market for it somewhere.

Looks like a nice keyboard, though. The N810's would do quite a lot better with higher friction, rubbery keys...

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-04-26 at 17:15.