Active Topics

Originally Posted by Yarema View Post
For people who are not very familiar with linux command line and have a problem with running fring after installation on N800/N810 (Maemo OS diablo version)!

1. Uninstall fring.
2. Open the catalogs window in Application manager. Disable "maemo Extras" catalog which have empty Distribution field in it's properties.
3. Refresh catalogs.
4. Install fring again.

This problem shouldn't happens on N800/N810 (Maemo OS chinook version)
Thanks for that. Why do we have to frickin' hack the dang IT's every time we want to do something new. God, I love my iPhone.

Speaking of which, I use fring's Gizmo SIP settings on the iPhone with grandcentral in the browser for the free phone calling in the US. Y'all might want to try that on the NITs too. I'm holding out installing until it's idiot-proof...are you lookin' at me?

Last edited by dlhuss; 2008-07-18 at 10:59.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
because unlike apple, no-one force people to use extra or a official nokia repo for their install files...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
because unlike apple, no-one force people to use extra or a official nokia repo for their install files...
Personally, I think that's what's lacking here at Nokia - a little order. (I did hack my iPhone - only one time, then it's done.) Even the iPhone hacker community has one nice orderly repository. (Installer. Ok, 2, with Cydia). On a rare occasion I had to add sources, but NEVER do any command line stuff. Sorry, for veering off topic.

Originally Posted by Yarema View Post
For people who are not very familiar with linux command line and have a problem with running fring after installation on N800/N810 (Maemo OS diablo version)!

1. Uninstall fring.
2. Open the catalogs window in Application manager. Disable "maemo Extras" catalog which have empty Distribution field in it's properties.
3. Refresh catalogs.
4. Install fring again.

This problem shouldn't happens on N800/N810 (Maemo OS chinook version)
Well, I tried this and it still won't work, so I guess I will try the sim link.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
does fring do video chat? not that I do it very often, but I like everything to work!

Question to anyone listening:
As you know we all have the same size "Internal Memory Space" to store installed apps and I'm running out of space, fast. Can I uninstall the RTCOMM UPDATE and just use Fring or does one work off the other?

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ St Thomas, ON, Canada
Does not run on my N800!

make symbolic link :
#ln -s /usr/lib/libhildonmm-1.0.so.2 /usr/lib/libhildonmm-1.0.so.1

problem is my system has symbolic link to
/usr/lib/libhidonmm-1.0.so.2.0.0
and no
/usr/lib/libhildonmm-1.0.so.1 to link to

Using N800 with Diablo.
It installs but does not load.
Any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Al

I think Fring's .install messes up some ppl's catalogs because they have included maemo SDK and maemo Extras in there. It can happen if you already have the repository but have it listed under different name. (or can it? it happened to me in earlier versions... maybe they have tackled the issue)

Anyway, just add a repo:

Application Manager > Tools > Application catalog > New

name = Fring
uri = http://reg.fring.com/repository/
dist = chinook
components = release
then simply find and install fring as you usually do with Application manager or apt-get.

Nokia N810 running Diablo. Used my method and everything works fine.

P.S. For people who already tried the standard .install file, search Application Manager > Tools > Application catalog for duplicate entries. Find em and delete em. Then try to reinstall the application.

Last edited by Dmitri; 2008-07-23 at 06:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dmitri For This Useful Post:
Thanks dMitri ...

the manual method worked perfectly for me.
I added the new repo as you pointed out - refreshed and saw Fring as an app to be installed.

Intall worked fine and app starts up also.
Also just registered a new account from Fring on my N810 itself.

Thanks a ton for the pointer ...

My fix for installing fring on n800. go to application manager , tools application catalogue go to maemo Extras free non-free and disabled it,now install fring.

The Following User Says Thank You to hoppie For This Useful Post: