Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
Not really outdated. Gizmo5 is just one of many sip providers. Have a look at www.sipgate.com and signup for a free account. Incoming calls are free, and therefore Google Voice calls should still be free. Sipgate + DialCentral / TOR on n810 works well for me.
Sorry, I'm new to a lot of this stuff. What is TOR?

It looks like Sipgate does the same thing as Google Voice. Is that true or am I missing something? If it is true, how does Google Voice figure in? I don't have a cell phone. Sipgate needs a cell phone number to send a text message for signing up. Now what?

All I care about for now is making outgoing calls. Can any of this be simplified for that situation?

George

Last edited by george_seifert; 2010-12-29 at 14:26. Reason: Adding another thought

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by george_seifert View Post
Sorry, I'm new to a lot of this stuff. What is TOR?
In this context, TOR = The One Ring.
In any context other than Google Voice, TOR = The Onion Router.

It looks like Sipgate does the same thing as Google Voice. Is that true or am I missing something?
Sipgate does offer some features that are also present in Google voice. However, I use sipgate only as a SIP provider. This means that for me sipgate is nothing more than a phone number.

If it is true, how does Google Voice figure in? I don't have a cell phone. Sipgate needs a cell phone number to send a text message for signing up. Now what?
If you consider using sipgate as just a phone number, and then read my previous post on this thread, it should make sense.
I don't exactly remember how I configured sipgate, but you might be able to tell sipgate to send you an sms to your GV number.
I really cannot remember if I did that or if I sent it to my cell phone.

All I care about for now is making outgoing calls. Can any of this be simplified for that situation?
Ok. If you are in the USA, then GV is an good way to make and receive calls for free.

1. Get a GV account and a number.
2. Get a sipgate account and number.
3. Set up GV to use the sipgate number for callback.
4. Use TOR / DialCentral / qgvdial to connect to your GV account from your n900 and configure it to callback (NOT call out) to your sipgate number.
5. Configure your sipgate account on your n900
6. Outgoing and incoming calls (to the US and Canada) are free! Profit!

If you are not in the USA, then Google Voice is not available for you yet, sorry.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
uvatbc,

Thanks much for the details. Your instructions talk about an N900. Way back at the beginning I mentioned I have an N810. Do your instructions also apply to an N810?

George

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
uvatbc,

Thanks much for the details. Your instructions talk about an N900. Way back at the beginning I mentioned I have an N810. Do your instructions also apply to an N810?

George
Yes, except for using qgvdial.
qgvdial has been built only for n900.
TOR and DialCentral work on the n810 as well as n900.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Durham, NC
geirge_seifert, follow the instructions at this link, except replace Gizmo with sipgate. I have done this recently and it works great. You will be able to make and receive free calls with wifi to anyone you want.

http://www.fromthefencepost.com/2009...ice-and-gizmo/

You will need to have the sipgate code sent to a cell phone number, so have it sent to a friend who doesn't mind and then got the code from him/her.

Originally Posted by jmart View Post
You will need to have the sipgate code sent to a cell phone number, so have it sent to a friend who doesn't mind and then got the code from him/her.
I just signed up at Sip2Sip. It was very easy to sign up there and no cell phone was needed. Hopefully that account will work the same as Sipgate or Gizmo.

George

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2010 @ central US
I manage to connect to sip servers (sip2sip, sdf.org), and can make calls within the network, and to PSTN, but have yet to succeed with a call to another sip network. Not sure why; tried lots of different things.

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
In this context, TOR = The One Ring.
In any context other than Google Voice, TOR = The Onion Router.

Sipgate does offer some features that are also present in Google voice. However, I use sipgate only as a SIP provider. This means that for me sipgate is nothing more than a phone number.

If you consider using sipgate as just a phone number, and then read my previous post on this thread, it should make sense.
I don't exactly remember how I configured sipgate, but you might be able to tell sipgate to send you an sms to your GV number.
I really cannot remember if I did that or if I sent it to my cell phone.

Ok. If you are in the USA, then GV is an good way to make and receive calls for free.

1. Get a GV account and a number.
2. Get a sipgate account and number.
3. Set up GV to use the sipgate number for callback.
4. Use TOR / DialCentral / qgvdial to connect to your GV account from your n900 and configure it to callback (NOT call out) to your sipgate number.
5. Configure your sipgate account on your n900
6. Outgoing and incoming calls (to the US and Canada) are free! Profit!

If you are not in the USA, then Google Voice is not available for you yet, sorry.
Hey everybody, how do i "Configure my "sipgate" account on my n900?"

unfortunately sipgate is out of phone numbers, but I did get one from ipkall.com, which goes through callcentric, and by goes through, i don't really know what that means, but i know that i signed up for callcentric so that i could put the info into ipkall to get that going.

But how do i configure the sip account on the n900? I think i am just an idiot and don't know how to do that. Is it a sip account from conversations on the n900? it asks for "sip.address@example.com" but that looks like an email address right? I'm confused only, only, on this part.

Help?

Well, I figured it out. You use the "SIP" # that call-centric gives you @callcentric.com ie (123456789@callcentric.com.)