Since I can't get a SIP from Gizmo now, it seems that the posts about how to make a wifi call with DialCentral and Google Voice are outdated. I haven't come across any recent posts that explain how to make a wifi call from a N810. Could someone please point me to some info on how to do this now? Now that calls can be made from gmail isn't there an easier way to accomplish this?

George

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by george_seifert View Post
Since I can't get a SIP from Gizmo now, it seems that the posts about how to make a wifi call with DialCentral and Google Voice are outdated. I haven't come across any recent posts that explain how to make a wifi call from a N810. Could someone please point me to some info on how to do this now? Now that calls can be made from gmail isn't there an easier way to accomplish this?

George
Not really outdated. Gizmo5 is just one of many sip providers.
Have a look at www.sipgate.com and signup for a free account.
Incoming calls are free, and therefore Google Voice calls should still be free.
Sipgate + DialCentral / TOR on n810 works well for me.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ / Puerto Rico/ Arecibo
so broken down for us nubies how do i get that workin i got the gvoice plugin workin it shows conected but do i pay to call people .? can i only call othe gvoice numbers ? only to computers no cell phone ,,,,;;;.. omg how does all that work i need a lil bit of help i have managed to figure everythning else aout on a n810 i can possibly figure out. just don't understand some of the account set up all that ,,,.....

am i the onlyone that still has it an cant get it to work to its fullest TODAY not four years ago.. sorry for the mess just had to pour some out,, ;-0

About eneitten usr XD

Operating System
Maemo4 (Penguin SMASHING windows lmbo]
Mobile Phone
it doesnt matter i still gotta wait to get a nokia what else...,,,,waiting..,,,,,,
Handhelds
15 months N810 all day everyyyyyy day thats it!!: g eek:

Originally Posted by eneitten usr XD View Post
so broken down for us nubies how do i get that workin i got the gvoice plugin workin it shows conected but do i pay to call people .? can i only call othe gvoice numbers ? only to computers no cell phone ,,,,;;;.. omg how does all that work i need a lil bit of help i have managed to figure everythning else aout on a n810 i can possibly figure out. just don't understand some of the account set up all that ,,,.....

am i the onlyone that still has it an cant get it to work to its fullest TODAY not four years ago.. sorry for the mess just had to pour some out,, ;-0
Wow that was difficult to read.

Let me see if I can answer everything:
1. What is Google Voice:
Google Voice is a service provided by Google to provide what is essentially a "trunking" service. In the old days (very old), to make a phone call, you had to pick up the phone, talk to a human operator and tell that person to connect you to your actual destination. The operator would then initiate a call to the other party, and then connect that line to your line.
Nowadays, the human operator is replaced by a computerized switchboard at your telco that essentially does the same thing.
Google Voice (GV) does pretty much the same thing too.
You tell GV that you want to dial your friend "A". GV then calls you at one of your registered phone numbers. Once you pick up, GV then calls your friend A, and connects you two together.
What are these "registered numbers"?
Those are your actual phone numbers. It may be a real phone (tmobile/att/whatever) or it could be a VOIP solution like SIP or Skype - as long as it has a number that GV can call.

2. Do I have to pay to call people?
It depends: GV does not charge you (yet) for the 2 phone calls it makes - one to you and one to your friend A.
However, the fact that GV makes a phone call to your number means that your phone is being charged some air time from your telco. If you have a plan that has incoming free (like a home phone), then for all intents and purposes, the call is free for you.
If it is a regular cellphone plan, then you pay the airtime minutes that your telco charges.
Most SIP accounts have free incoming, and so if you configure GV to call your SIP number, then all you're paying for is your Internet expenses.
If you're using SIP on a data plan, then you're paying because of data plan charges.
In summary: It depends on your configuration.

3. Can I call only gvoice numbers? Only to computers no cellphone?:
GV calls your friend A's phone number. It is a phone trunking service. There isn't as yet any concept of differentiating between normal phone numbers and the number GV gives you.

4. You're the latest to ask these questions. I am sure there are many others who still struggle to understand GV and why it is useful.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
thanks a millioon thats the kind of response i like very very nice of ya to put things in order ,,..+ to the future my friend..;;',..-+ there is hardly anything being said or done currently i just need current news ive got tons workin on it just this kind of things are left

About eneitten usr XD

Operating System
Mobile Phone
it doesnt matter i still gotta wait to get a nokia what else...,,,,waiting..,,,,,,
Handhelds

so how do i conect it i dunno what i did wrong how am i supposed to use it i?make a gv account? (i have it) now what? does it mean i can call almost anyone from my iGoogle page --+ or my n810.. i can set it up using my cell phone i did it once just don kno how! a while back))> i have unlimited mins ? does it matter ?

About eneitten usr XD

Operating System
Mobile Phone
Handhelds

by the way is cause im on the nit jajajajaaj the cause of the difficulty of You sir reading ... sorry """like some dude around here says something like " typing at the speed of light on my N810 ...,,,,, something something,, XD THANKS

About eneitten usr XD

Operating System
Mobile Phone
Handhelds

Originally Posted by george_seifert View Post

George
I know you have this problem, coz google voice accept only gizmo as sip provider in their forwarding list.

This is what u can do.

1. Get any sip account outthere (doesnt have to be gizmo)
2. Go to ipkall.com and u can get a regular phone number that forward calls to your sip account.
3. Put that number obtain from ipkall in google forwarding list.

Whenever u get call on GV, it rings the ipkall number and will forward to sip # seamlessly.

Enjoy.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
I know you have this problem, coz google voice accept only gizmo as sip provider in their forwarding list.
That is NOT correct.
I'm able to use my skype in number as well as my sipgate.com voip number in GV. Both work flawlessly.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
That is NOT correct.
I'm able to use my skype in number as well as my sipgate.com voip number in GV. Both work flawlessly.
Skype in number and sipgate phone numbers are not SIP numbers. If u read my post carefully, i have mentioned about SIP numbers. The method i mention works with ANY sip provider with no direct phone number.