Active Topics

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
So what is this thread about? How we hate people who don't know as much as us? Yeah, I think posts asking where the battery on an n800 is tend to be a little irratating but people who just shout SEARCH anytime someone asks a question is are quite a bit more irratating.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dinis_2003 View Post
Thank you Chemist.
Take a look, you see what this thread is talking about at the end? It would be hard to find something over here if this thread would be like 2000 posts.
That's what i meant.
but this is what I expected and actualy wanted to happen, a discussion about the search function.

it shows that most of the complaints are a general problem of the site, like the community pages arent usable or realy slow due to server issues (they will be solved..),

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
As one who is a master of search, let me say that Maemo's Talk forums stink when it comes to finding an answer.

My first experience was trying to find out whether I should, as a normal practice, switch off my N810 at night or just let it go into standby and, if the former, was there any difference between using the menu to switch it off versus using the power button. Searching for 'switch off power' returns 42 threads with up to 272 posts in each for an answer which could (should?) be answered in a single sentence.

Another problem is the idea of a single thread to cover a general topic. For development, this works fine. The thread becomes a collaborative tool. But for a user with a question it becomes a nightmare. I am interested in Tear but the 0.3 release thread contains 1037 posts with the 0.3.1 thread adding 975 more. Is it any wonder that people start threads with specific questions?

Another n00b's thread title summed it up:"Tear install - Newbie is so confused. Which thread to use? "

Peoples, you know you can list results by post and not thread, right? You can even make that your default.

Maybe we need a Search Help thread.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Peoples, you know you can list results by post and not thread, right? You can even make that your default.

Maybe we need a Search Help thread.
To tell you the truth, I didn't know that. (OTOH, I almost always use the custom Google search of maemo.org.)

I think Reggie ought to make Results By Post the default. Or the option should show up more prominently, like when you use the big Search Box in the top right, it could have the options right there.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I was reflecting on this one.

Most of the threads coming up on repeat are fairly basic (they're newbies who haven't settled in yet). And we have a team of people wearing this 'greeter' sig, some of whom are also not actually very technical. I actually answered one of those threads yesterday - it was exactly the same as two identical topics on the same forum page. I just welcomed the poster, and offered him links to where discussion was already going on.

So if you see someone posting something basic that's already answered, just ignore it. Hopefully one of the greeters will get there - and be able to respond cheerfully however many times the question has been asked. It's part of what we're here for.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 142 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
It's just me, or this is the most confusing board ever ?

I'm not speaking about the contents, I'm speaking about the board itself and its layout.

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
It's just you.

(What is a solutor?)
A purposedly mispelled word for solver.

It's just you.
Maybe I'm too old for this.

But I'm too used on the classic boards like invision...

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I get ya. I purposely misspelled 'The'.

BTW, It's incredible, I have about 40000 messages on different forums, part of them are English only ones, and You are the only native English speaking user that noticed this.

Back to my question, nevermind. I've just noticed the alternative layouts on the User CP.