Active Topics

I just read a news article saying that Google has just published some source code of Chrome OS. On the bottom it says: (translated from Dutch)

x86 en ARM
Chrome OS should run on x86 as well as ARM chips, although google has developed it for x86. This is because practically all netbooks and laptops have x86 processors.

Anyone knows if this Chrome OS will run on N900 ? It should, right ?

Tell me what you guys think...

link here

Last edited by cgelici; 2009-11-20 at 00:17.

F**k Chrome. Long live to maemo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
thank you for your quick response

Sorry. I’m really entusiasmed with the comments from the first owners.

I'd imagine someone could hack it. My guess is it would be a nightmare even if you could get it running. And you'd likely lose much of the functionality of your N900 due to missing drivers, etc. If you could get it to run, that is.

The question is: why in the world would you want to install Chrome OS on a Nokia N900? IMO, that would be taking a huge step backwards.

Last edited by mdl; 2009-11-20 at 00:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to mdl For This Useful Post:
I am not sure it looks pretty intresting to me. If there are no problems with hardware/software of course

Q: What device can u use as a phone, as a mini portable linux desktop and fits in your pocket.
A: ? (my dream?)

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
There's nothing stopping someone from putting the work in to get it running. It's only a question of if anyone will put in that effort.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Diego, CA, USA
Why.......?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia, USA
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
I'd imagine someone could hack it. My guess is it would be a nightmare even if you could get it running. And you'd likely lose much of the functionality of your N900 due to missing drivers, etc. If you could get it to run, that is.

The question is: why in the world would you want to install Chrome OS on a Nokia N900? IMO, that would be taking a huge step backwards.
To offer a different viewpoint:
Isn't that the essence of OSS development? Wanting to tinker and do things as you want?

I've been trying to condense so many ideas into a concise comment, but basically I think that if the N900 is a "mobile computer", it should be simple to dual-boot it, or to add a different OS.

Most PC parts are commodity hardware that interface over defined standards SATA, PATA, PCI, USB, etc. Is the N900 set up this way? (Seriously I'm asking not trying to start a flame war)

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Originally Posted by drm View Post
F**k Chrome. Long live to maemo.
Your the man.

The Following User Says Thank You to verumgero For This Useful Post: