Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Croatia
Can you advice me if I should buy N9 now?... I have a N900 and I love it, but it is getting old. What about apps on N9,are there enough apps? sailfish on n9 - can it be used as primary os? nitdroid - is it functional?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Not new, but if you get used device for low price its worth it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Kazakhstan
I think you can forget any OS except Meego Harmattan, the original one. Others have no GPS, no photo functionalities for examples...
I'm still using a N9 nowadays, but I clearly cannot have any fancy app like Tinder. Minimum is available, nothing fancy.

The Following User Says Thank You to pmeuh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Croatia
@mikecomputing I wasn't gonna buy a new one, Iwould go for a used one, around 200$... is it worth it?

@pmeuh so other os's are like nitdroid on n900- not really usable, just for showing up and some apps?

and if not a n9, what is a good alternative for a former n900 user?

thanks

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I purchased my first N900 in June 2012 and fell in love instantly. So much so that I am now a proud owner of four of them (one partly working, for spares).

I have recently acquired a used N9. Everything works except for the loudspeaker, which is the main reason I have not yet tried it as my daily phone (since I can't hear the ringing; although the earpiece works so I can hear the other party speaking).

I do not use any social cr@p so cannot give you any feedback in that area. Neither do I know what Tinder is. The phone comes with everything I need from a smartphone right out of the box. Being second-hand, mine even came with a lot of stuff preinstalled that I do not need (like games), so off it went, saving about 500 MB.

I paid about 80 GBP delivered which I think is a fair price for a 64 GB N9 in the given condition. It would have cost me about 1/3 less if I lived in the US: the shipping from the US plus "import charges" imposed by eBay pushed the price up.

Please bear in mind that the following is written from the point of view of a die-hard N900 user. YMMV if you come from a different camp.

First off, it was not an instant love like the N900. The N9 actually looks and feels more like a phone than the N900 does and I can imagine using it as my main phone if i get the speaker fixed, but I am not sure I would spend nights on it like I do with my N900. It feels like a damn fine device but lacks a certain 'mojo' compared to the N900.

Things I like about the N9:
  • Starting from the basics - the form factor. It feels just right. The dimensions, the screen size and resolution, the weight, it all feels Just Right™.
  • The screen. The OLED screen is so crisp, I've never seen anything like it. And I love the always visible clock on the stadby screen.
  • The speed. Everything is instant, unlike on my N900 which shows some lag in some operations. I have not yet noticed any lag on the N9.
  • The battery life. As mentioned above, I have not yet put it to a serious test, but a basic like switched on, connected to GSM and WiFi, checking regularly for emails but otherwise idle, the battery lasted about 5 days. My N900 in the same situation barely makes it through two days.
  • The user interface. It took about half a day to get used to and I still miss the X button to close apps, but I am getting more familiar with it and I definitely consider it far superior to any Android offering (that I've seen so far).

Things I am not so keen on:
  • The capacitive touch screen. Yes! I seriously miss the ability to use the fingernail or the stylus to pinpoint exactly the point on the screen. Using your finger on a busy website is only asking for trouble.
  • The lack of a physical keyboard. This is by far the most serious drawback. Shift+Ctrl+Left/Right cursor in a text editor to highlight some text is merely a dream. Which means I had to type my WiFi password manually rather than copy&paste. Quite a drag considering that my password is a random string containing both case letters, numbers and special characters.
  • The lack of a memory card expansion. Not that it bothers me yet, but it might get there at some point.
  • The micro-SIM slot. I find that annoying because it means I cannot freely swap SIM cards between my devices.

To summarise and answer the OP's question, yes, for the price I've paid for mine it's definitely worth it

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-04-07 at 21:51. Reason: Spelling

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I just bought the N9 last week. Was VERY DISSAPOINTED.

thing felt like a incomplete Iphone copy from start ,the way the packing box was barely bigger than the phone (same with iphone)

The way how there was no "linux" desktop architecture , no widgets , but just apps on the home screen.

But i've gathered up my thoughts..

This is by far the best music player on the market , has dolby digital and can play FLAC 96bit.. There is a new ipod alternative coming out and thing costs like 500 , and that has 16gb memory , this has 64..

The screen resolution is not sufficient enough to see multitasking going on , but having my NY TIMES , MUSIC , TIME , MESSAGING on in one single multitasking is all I need.

So in the end , if you want some nice swype gestures , a great hi-fi media player (beats galaxy s4's yamaha sound processor , and iphone 5s..) And a decent multitasking window for simple browsing , messaging then this is great..

Otherwise most apps suck. They are so bad that even maemo.org won't have a maemo 6 downloads section. Apps like temperature on standby screen are really over hyped..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to denizg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Originally Posted by denizg View Post
I just bought the N9 last week. Was VERY DISSAPOINTED.

thing felt like a incomplete Iphone copy from start ,the way the packing box was barely bigger than the phone (same with iphone)

The way how there was no "linux" desktop architecture , no widgets , but just apps on the home screen.

But i've gathered up my thoughts..

This is by far the best music player on the market , has dolby digital and can play FLAC 96bit.. There is a new ipod alternative coming out and thing costs like 500 , and that has 16gb memory , this has 64..

The screen resolution is not sufficient enough to see multitasking going on , but having my NY TIMES , MUSIC , TIME , MESSAGING on in one single multitasking is all I need.

So in the end , if you want some nice swype gestures , a great hi-fi media player (beats galaxy s4's yamaha sound processor , and iphone 5s..) And a decent multitasking window for simple browsing , messaging then this is great..

Otherwise most apps suck. They are so bad that even maemo.org won't have a maemo 6 downloads section. Apps like temperature on standby screen are really over hyped..
This seems a bit harsh as a review..

Anyway - my take.
For me the main thing on the N9 that I love is the fact that it looks and feels like a modern smartphone, yet it has hackability that other phones don't have. App support is ok, it has the things you need. (For me its pretty much youtube, and I wish I could get pandora but the web client is fine.) Everything else works fine apart from when I break things Oh and maps+navigation are great to have, and the camera is decent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Dont know about the n9 but if you like n900 you will enjoy it .

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Poland
If you want a SMARTPHONE, you won't be dissapointed with the N9. My friend has SGS3, and he said if there was bigger version on the N9 (like 4.5-5'') he would pick it over SGS any time of the day. So I guess this says something about the Nokia.
However, if you want MOBILE PC, you should stick with N900.

I personally like the N9 way more than the N900, but that's just my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to drathvader For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
I love my N9. It is my main phone, and i have another as a backup in case anything ever happens to it. I do not plan on replacing it anytime soon. It's not an N900, and it's not an iPhone. As long as your expectations are realistic, there is no reason you shouldn't buy this phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:

Tags
nemo mobile, nokia n9