Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I have thought of several apps that could benefit from notifications on the app launcher screen.

For example my todo app could display the number of undone tasks, and e-mail the number of unread messages. The possibility is there as the icons are updated continuously from their respective icons.

But each app has to install a daemon to do the job and that is completely inefficient. I thought of creating a daemon that reads job files in a certain directory so that all applications can add new job description text files there for example like this:

Code:
description
"updates todo icon with not completed tasks"

process name #process that generates the icon
/opt/oobTodo/bin/updateIcon #the process can take arguments

method #choose between (time, dbus signal, dbus event, ..., ...)
             #dbus event should be a system event like headphones
             #attached, keyboard open etc
time, dbus

period #in minutes

dbus method name
updateTodo

dbus arguments #comma seperated
The difficulty for this approach is that applications that depend on this system cannot be published to ovi store as ovi store does not support dependencies outside the default repositories (I miss extras)

Any ideas how this could be solved? An installable application in ovi and explicit requirement from the user to download it in other apps description? Link inside the app, if it doesn't find it show a download link for the system in ovi?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
It seems that, in the case of your examples, the icon should really be updated from the relevant applications, as the data changes. For example, the task count would be incremented right after a task is added, not on a timed basis. However, obviously this isn't practical for retrofitting onto the closed-source Nokia apps.

Your proposed daemon sounds like it's basically a task scheduler - Harmattan provides this out of the box with timed. It even supports DBus signals, as in your example. However, the major problem is that it's difficult to add new tasks; either an extremely long dbus-send command or use of the somewhat complicated libtimed library is required. It isn't that bad though - check out the source to my Calendarrr app for an example.

The Following User Says Thank You to itsnotabigtruck For This Useful Post: