Active Topics

Poll: Would U like N9 "Swipe UI" for N900 ?
Poll Options
Would U like N9 "Swipe UI" for N900 ?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
You don't need touch sensitive edges. You just need *proper* gesture detection. E.G. MicroB - you CAN get the swipe from right/left gestures to work just fine in portrait mode. It's just harder to get the touch to come in from "off screen" with so little room on the 'top' and 'bottom' edge.

So long as the gesture is recognized as "from-very-edge-of-screen-inwards" it's going to be virtually indestinguishable to the end-user.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
as a really cheating way to emulate the screens, couldn't you just create a few widgets that fill available desktop space. menu widget for one of the existing desktops, notifications/rss on another etc.

Originally Posted by Pillum View Post
@jo21
you cant...its not open sourced
thats why i say copy it , rewrite it >_>

(I guess) we can rewrite everything except the deep twitter/ facebook integration.. We do have a nice IM integration, but wished Nokia extended it to social networking too.. I really miss it on N900, and still wish one of our geniuses like MohammadAG could help us with that...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
all we need is a daemon to monitor mouse movement and when it detects an off screen swipe to launch the switcher like shortcutd. And again to go home.

the swipe UI of the N9 consists of 3 home views. 2 of them are llready available on our N900 devices. the app menu and the dashboard. the conversations view of the N9 looks somewhat like our conversations view. to make it more alike the call log and email has to be integrated into conversations. than the 3 home views are compleet. i would not mind using a touch gesture on our black "bottom" or "top" parts of our screen to enable switching between the 3 views. are there programmers reading this thread thinking this can be build?

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Nevermind... Irrelevant.

Just be happy having a full Linux distro

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
You don't need touch sensitive edges. You just need *proper* gesture detection. E.G. MicroB - you CAN get the swipe from right/left gestures to work just fine in portrait mode. It's just harder to get the touch to come in from "off screen" with so little room on the 'top' and 'bottom' edge.

So long as the gesture is recognized as "from-very-edge-of-screen-inwards" it's going to be virtually indestinguishable to the end-user.
So, does anyone know if it's possible to write a daemon or similar for Maemo 5 that would allow detection (system-wide) of the "swipe in from outside edge" gesture? That is, something that would detect that gesture and not pass it onto the app, so that the app didn't scroll for example. As a start, we don't necessarily need the fancy transition effect, just something that will detect that gesture and then bring up the app launcher or task switcher or desktop.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post

Whether we need them or not it seems we have them. I can tap 2-3 mm outside the screen and it fully registers a tap. (on all four sides, try tapping on the bottom edge of the N900 moniker - it requires a bit of pressure)

The screen of N900 it have a feature few people know to use, as I saw none of the video recorded use this:

Imagine you want to flip to left workspace/desktop, put one finger on screen - better left side, hold there and quickly put another on its right of the screen, then raise the left one. See, thats how easy to quick switch, no need to against swipe resistance.