Active Topics

Holy s*** again! Of course, it's my tar noobines again. The file inside .lzma archive isn't corrupted, it's just .tar with wrong name. So, after un-lzma'ing, just untar it (plain tar, without compression), and you should get final, working .ext3 file.

I'm going to fix that in uploaded file anyway, but - people that already downloaded it, and haven't deleted yet - I've confirmed that it's 100% working after un-lzma'ing *and* un-tar'ing after.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-29 at 15:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
BTW, sulu, do You know any way to enable clipboard sharing between Maemo and ED? It' really PITA, not being able to ctrl +c on ED and paste on Maemo, or the opposite.
It would require to exchange clipboard contents between different xserver displays an unfortunately I have no idea how to do this.

Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
I repeated the tests I did in posts 2324&2329 (opening a file in OOCalc directly from Maemo, editing a minimal amount, and closing OOCalc again), now concentrating on the locations of both swap & ED partitions. The setup is as similar as possible, but can't be fully compared of course.
Each test was run 3 times. The numbers behind each line are the times in seconds:

- Swap on emmc, ED on sd: 95,105,90
- swap on emmc, ED on emmc: 95,75,75
- swap on sd, ED on sd:95,80,75
- swap on sd, ED on emmc: 80,70,65

I then overclocked to 900mhz, and ran the last test twice more:80,60

So as expected 'swap on sd & ED on emmc' is the fastest, and overclocking helps, but not a lot.
I can't really explain the second place for both on emmc though. I am also surprised about the bad performance of the first setup. But the conclusion is clear enough for me.
Some time ago I made some benchmarks between my class 10 microSD card and the eMMC. The overall result was that the eMMC is about 1.3 times faster than the microSD card. I guess that might explain the results.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I can confirm the image file works after untar-ing. And it, or at least Libre-Office Calc) is indeed significantly faster, the same test as in post #2560 gave these results:

- swap on sd, ED w. Estel's image 'installed' an emmc partition: 75,55,50
(previously 80,70,65)

The UI also reacts better, before I sometimes had to click the menu bar twice to open a pulldown menu.

@ Estel: it looks like the Chromium extensions you installed did not carry over into the image file.

Edit: test results added

Last edited by maartenmk; 2012-01-30 at 12:00.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
It would require to exchange clipboard contents between different xserver displays an unfortunately I have no idea how to do this.
Is this of any help sulu? Seems like an almost identical situation unless I've missed something:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1431913

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Is this of any help sulu? Seems like an almost identical situation unless I've missed something:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1431913
Nice find! xsel seems to be exactly what we need.
I just tried the script from ubuntuforums.org and at least for text it works. I also tried to copy images with it but unfortunately that didn't work. Instead I only got a single dot (the script's default empty content) when trying to insert an image. I'm not sure if the problem was on the copying or on the pasting side.
You'll find an optified version of Debian Lenny's xsel package (I just moved the files around, so there's no change in the source code) attached to this post. Install it under Maemo and follow the instructions at ubuntuforums.org!
Attached Files
File Type: deb xsel_1.2.0-1_armel.deb (19.1 KB, 97 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Thanks for testing, guys!

Last night I've uploaded fixed version - this time, it was lzma'ed on device. BTW, it's awesome how much difference using swap on microSD and correct swap-related settings does - *without* using nice, I was able to do other things on device during whole compressing, + I got "surprise" call, and was able to pick it up + talk without any single glitches. Whole process took only few hours (compressing 3GB file).

I'm announcing it just today, as I've first downloaded it, unpacked (also on device, so I'm 100% sure it will work using lzma -d, or ED installer), and tested.

The link haven't changed (I just replaced file):
http://lorienart.pl/cover/ed-squeeze-final.ext3.lzma

It can be mounted as ext3 and ext4 flawlessly. I've also successfully mounted it as ext2 and enabled LXDE, yet, haven't performed any further ext2-related testing.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post

It can be mounted as ext3 and ext4 flawlessly. I've also successfully mounted it as ext2 and enabled LXDE, yet, haven't performed any further ext2-related testing.

/Estel
Thanks - i'm currently using it with ext2

As for lack of Chromium extensions in resulted image, I've traced down the problem - for some reasons, using workaround for stupid Chrome Store behavior ("developer mode" for installing extensions), it's not possible to keep them on Debian partition (dialog, where Your provide path to extension folder, can't point to hidden directories, starting with "dot", and our mount is ".debian").

No big deal, though - those are small files, and one can keep them - for example - in /home/user/chromium-extensions. On how to download and load in developer mode (need to be done only once), follow:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2495

for Scrollbars anywhere, You can also download from this instead:
http://lorienart.pl/cover/scrollbars-anywhere.tar.gz

...untar, and jump directly, to part of instructions, that explain loading in dev mode. This is exact copy of my extension setup (although, I'm pretty sure, that You'll need to load and configure them anyway).

For best effects, in Scrollbars Anywhere options, use following (leave rest unticked):

Code:
Button: Left
Tick "Use grab and drag style scrolling"
Top speed: 20000
Friction: 1
This will enable scrolling page like in microB, yet, You'll be able to easily select text holding ctrl. Also, ctrl + click open link in new tab.

Overall, by *unticking* "use system border and title bar" (*right click on upper Chromium bar", You got effect like this:

To easily navigate through opened tabs, use ctrl + number (control+ blue arrow + number). With possibility of binding left alt somewhere, we could use that to achieve back & forward - for now, one need to pres buttons. New tab is ctrl +t.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-31 at 11:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Today is the first time i used chromium - the first time ever really using a debian browser and it works great!

Some "Must Have" features (for me) were missing on N900's browser - ones that i always have on my PC such as saving all tabs on exit, undo for closed tabs (history) and keyboard control for switching/opening new/closing tabs.

Chromium works really well with several tabs and deals great with hebrew characters which other browsers had problems dealing with.

I also used it with portrait mode and full screen which is very cool.

Estel - This image of debian you prepared is really awesome - i already worked with GIMP, LMMS and LibreOffice and all are working great till now

I'm using the image mounted to ext2 partition.

When using Ctrl+ to zoom in, the page does not format correctly and the left part of it is not accessible (not even by scroll bar or dragging). is there any solution for this?

How do you install flash support?

Last edited by impeham; 2012-01-31 at 22:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Anyway to start it from LXDE? Icon seems to be present but it doesn't start chromium actually... As the statusbar of maemo when starting from chroot terminal is taking much screenspace

Also I found scrolling better when

Code:
Button: Left
Tick "Use grab and drag style scrolling"
Scaling: 125 - 150%
Top speed: 40000
Friction: 1
And maybe releasing the .desktop files of LibreOffice, chromium or did I miss them, saw you talking about it somewhere though... Yet have to find more issues. Not really an easy debian user before as I always failed with updating... Now let's see if I can get all pentest tools working in ED

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze