Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
I'd like to know how to shutdown and restart xorg without rebooting the device. Any ideas?

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
I'd like to know how to shutdown and restart xorg without rebooting the device. Any ideas?
You would need to disable the watchdog - I believe this is what is causing the reboot - I think you can only do that in R&D mode?

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
You would need to disable the watchdog - I believe this is what is causing the reboot - I think you can only do that in R&D mode?
Not an issue to me, but what would be the correct commands to safely shutdown the xorg and then bring it back to life?

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sydney
I'd like to do the same - restarting Xorg without a reboot.

So is that true there is no way to disable the watchdog without being in R&D mode?

I also found that Xorg is started by dsmetool in /etc/event.d/xomap with a -r switch. How is this different from the watchdog we're talking about?

Thanks.

Why would you want to restart xorg?

I think the -r flag tells dsme to reboot the device if this process dies/is killed. I.e. if Xorg goes down holy sh1t, catastrophe! Reboot now!

Possibly by changing the dsmetool flag for xorg startup you could change the way it reacts to Xorg dieing. For example if you copy how BME is launched (just restarts BME if it is killed/dies, reboots after 5 shots) you may get your desired effect.

The watchdog is a timer that runs out, a hardware countdown. If some piece of software does not set a bit every 30s (I think) then the hardware assumes everything has gone tits up and resets the hardware (reboot).

So the problem is not the watchdog killing the phone, it is dsme killing the phone when it sees a critical process dieing. You just have to change how dsme starts xorg.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Moscow
Someone plz tell me why Xorg.0.log file copied from /tmp to /home/user every reboot or shutdown? How to disable that or logging?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
I gues Xorg.0.log is copied to /home/user so that you can actually have a look at the log in case it's necessary.

This is done at /etc/event.d/xomap, where BTW you can change the startup options (look for variable "XORG_OPTIONS") as well as the parameters for dsmetool (remove "-r" if you don't want dsme to reboot the N900 when X dies or is killed -> but then you'd need a framebuffer as well as a way to change to another virtual terminal, and obviously a listening terminal (getty)).

The cp /tmp/Xorg.0.log /home/user is done by the post-stop script, which presumably happens when you (cleanly?) reboot the N900.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Moscow
Thanx! Just removed post-stop script & changed logverbose to 0
Removing -logfile and -logverbose leads to unbootable device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMOIKANE For This Useful Post: