Notices

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Mike Fr View Post
Thanks for all the tips guys! Although it is not that easy, it is certainly worth it and I will give it a try later.
Yes, this is not for a newbie. I am not doing a through explanation so some of it you need to know or google it.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Netherlands
Well, I am still a newbie, but I am getting better with my phone and Xterminal. The way this topic evolved + all the included tips thanks to the input of e.g. AlMehdi, Matan, biggzy, zoner makes it understandable for me to try it out.
And it is only a few weeks that I have my N900, it will be a long summer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mike Fr View Post
Well, I am still a newbie, but I am getting better with my phone and Xterminal. The way this topic evolved + all the included tips thanks to the input of e.g. AlMehdi, Matan, biggzy, zoner makes it understandable for me to try it out.
And it is only a few weeks that I have my N900, it will be a long summer
That you are correct of and i admire your adventurism. Make sure to do backups frequently in the beginning. In case you have to reflash. OpenSSH are a great tool for that and is something you should learn if you haven't.

Xterm is a magnificent tool if you learn how to use it. Can save you a lot of time. It also gives you power to configure most of the things. Thank god we have guys like Matan that can help us with the other stuff

I am quite sure you will get the hang of this.

Edit: Ohh.. and if you want the xterminal to be even better make sure to install bash. Wget and leafpad are other great tools.

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-06-08 at 23:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
How to shrink your application shortcuts

1. First you need to download the customized hildon-home by Matan.
http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n90...+0m5_armel.deb

2.1 Then in terminal to install: sudo dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/Download/hildon-home_0.3.66-2+0m5_armel.deb
2.2 Set it to the size you want: sudo gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-home/task-shortcuts-size -t int 62 (Where "62" will need to be the size you choose of the AppletShortcut images.)

3. Then install ImageMagick: sudo apt-get install imagemagick

4.1 Install Openssh-client to download the complete icon and theme folders:
4.2 sudo apt-get install openssh-client
4.3 scp -r /usr/share/icons user@ip-number:/home/n900
4.4 scp -r /usr/share/themes/<your theme> user@ip-number:/home/n900

Look in the different folders on your desktop computer what to change. Then go back to the n900 and use:

(examples)
5.1 cd /usr/share/icons/64x64/hildon/
5.2 sudo mogrify -resize 48x48! *.png (this will change all the png in the /hildon folder)

(i have the humanity theme so i will edit the shortcut background in the humanity folder)
5.3 cd /usr/share/themes/humanity/images/ApplicationShortcutApplet.png And sudo mogrify -resize 62x62! ApplicationShortcutApplet.png

5.4 cd /usr/share/themes/humanity/images/ApplicationShortcutAppletPressed.png And sudo mogrify -resize 62x62! ApplicationShortcutAppletPressed.png

(change the location and file that complies to you in #5)

6. Restart Hildon-home to see the change: sudo pkill hildon-home

If something got wrong and you don't know how to get it back. First change to another theme. Then reinstall your theme: apt-get remove --purge humanity-theme and apt-get install humanity-theme

When it is done:

can we use this to make the icons bigger ????

The Following User Says Thank You to elie-7 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
can we use this to make the icons bigger ????
Change the "62" to something bigger in "sudo gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-home/task-shortcuts-size -t int 62"

I think the stock size is 96 pixels so 192 would make them double the size you have now.

Updated the howto on page 4 little.

Made a script/program to do this..

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62091

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Tags
icons, program, resize, retentive