Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
http://maemo.org/news/announcements/...rm_developers/

Thanks to yerga for the heads up on IRC.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Looks like I have some software to install this evening.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Oh, and it looks like it's now official: no Maemo 5 for the current tablets.

Maemo 5 comes today as an SDK only since it targets the OMAP3 architecture and no OMAP2 compatibility will be officially provided. The revamped UI relying on graphics acceleration and the new functionality built around the new supported hardware made it too complex to keep the compatibility between both architectures.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Some interesting screenshots (nothing really important yet as explained in the announcement for the UI part).

Just say that it's possible move around the desktop the boxes to set the bg and add applets.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Some interesting screenshots (nothing really important yet as explained in the announcement for the UI part).

Just say that it's possible move around the desktop the boxes to set the bg and add applets.
Is that more than 800x480 or is it just the small title font that confuses me?

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Is that more than 800x480 or is it just the small title font that confuses me?
It's the small font in the window titles. I am running it in a 800x480 Xephyr window, In the device could be different

Another hints: the dialogs are movable, and have a small close button in the window manager (no cancel buttons in them).

Also the package gstreamer-plugins-camera has some possibles features for the HD camera. And it's opensource. I could list them, but if I am wrong...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Oh, and it looks like it's now official: no Maemo 5 for the current tablets.
Now, that said, let's just jump right past the "whining and complain" stage and move straight to the "let's do something about it" stage, shall we?

Say whatever you will about there not being official support for current tablets with Fremantle (I'd, personally, prefer it if you took your complaints to customer care where it's more likely to get to the ears of the people who make these decisions), but Fremantle is more more open than previous releases, which means the community is significantly more enabled (and encouraged) to see to providing their own support this time around.
This early release comes with an invitation to build variants based on Maemo 5 compatible with existing hardware like the N800 and N810. Maemo SW can't promise commercial quality for such configurations but through maemo.org we are able to collaborate at a community level with technical support, license changes and code.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Now, that said, let's just jump right past the "whining and complain" stage and move straight to the "let's do something about it" stage, shall we?
all for that, as long as we dont get a "resources" split down the road...

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Fremantle is more more open than previous releases, which means the community is significantly more enabled (and encouraged) to see to providing their own support this time around.
Given that a competent staff working full time on it has basically given up with omap2 (they say due to the difficulty of maintaining compatibility) I'm skeptical that a yet-not-so-big community can fill the void.
I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Given that a competent staff working full time on it has basically given up with omap2 (they say due to the difficulty of maintaining compatibility) I'm skeptical that a yet-not-so-big community can fill the void.
You say that like they've got unlimited resources and free time. . . .