good article

Can't get this to work.

Had a few problems and still can't it to work.

Couldn't gain root access through either command without enabling RD mode or something
Solution- Was to download rootfs or rootsh or something from download registry place.

Next problem was i couldn't run the first file (MakeBackups.sh) through filemanager.
Solution- Filebox. it's another filemanager from the download registry. When you open and find the file you need, click the settings icon on the right and click 'Open terminal here', this opened the filelocation in terminal, then typed in the command (sh MakeBackups.sh) and it worked.

Next problem is now that even with using the same method as above, when i actually type in 'sh BoostN900.sh' i am greeted by this lovely message below.

/MyDocs/BoostN900/BoostN900 $ sh BoostN900.sh
cp: cannot create '/usr/share/alsa/init/default': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/usr/share/alsa/init/hda': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/etc/init.d/alsa-utils': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/bta2dp.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/btmono-hfp.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/btmono-hsp.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/fmtx.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/hp.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/hs.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihf.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandfmtx.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandheadset.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandlineout.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandtv-out.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/lineout.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/tvout.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/etc/default/pulseaudio': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/etc/event.d/TuneN900.sh': Permission denied
BoostN900.sh: line 19: stop: not found
Please Hold For 15 Seconds...
BoostN900.sh: line 22: start: not found
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cvolume-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
Capture channels: Mono
Limits: Capture 0 - 65536
Mono: Capture 65536 [100%] [off]
Mono: Capture 0 [0%] [off]
Patching Finished

is that whats supposed to happen???

The Following User Says Thank You to xRobby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xRobby View Post
Can't get this to work.

Had a few problems and still can't it to work.

Couldn't gain root access through either command without enabling RD mode or something
Solution- Was to download rootfs or rootsh or something from download registry place.

Next problem was i couldn't run the first file (MakeBackups.sh) through filemanager.
Solution- Filebox. it's another filemanager from the download registry. When you open and find the file you need, click the settings icon on the right and click 'Open terminal here', this opened the filelocation in terminal, then typed in the command (sh MakeBackups.sh) and it worked.

Next problem is now that even with using the same method as above, when i actually type in 'sh BoostN900.sh' i am greeted by this lovely message below.

/MyDocs/BoostN900/BoostN900 $ sh BoostN900.sh
cp: cannot create '/usr/share/alsa/init/default': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/usr/share/alsa/init/hda': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/etc/init.d/alsa-utils': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/bta2dp.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/btmono-hfp.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/btmono-hsp.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/fmtx.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/hp.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/hs.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihf.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandfmtx.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandheadset.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandlineout.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandtv-out.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/lineout.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/var/lib/pulse-nokia/tvout.parameters': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/etc/default/pulseaudio': Permission denied
cp: cannot create '/etc/event.d/TuneN900.sh': Permission denied
BoostN900.sh: line 19: stop: not found
Please Hold For 15 Seconds...
BoostN900.sh: line 22: start: not found
Mono: Capture 65536 [100%] [off]
Mono: Capture 0 [0%] [off]
Patching Finished

is that whats supposed to happen???
You don't have anything to worry about as you did absolutely nothing to your device.

Your problem is you have to be root before applying the patches. Also the patches weren't really meant for average users, but here goes any way.

Using filebox go to options, and enable root, next navigate to the BoostN900 folder and run the option "Open terminal here."

Then you execute the sh commands from the first page, make sure you run Makebackups.sh first, even if it worked already...

The Following User Says Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
You don't have anything to worry about as you did absolutely nothing to your device.

Your problem is you have to be root before applying the patches. Also the patches weren't really meant for average users, but here goes any way.

Using filebox go to options, and enable root, next navigate to the BoostN900 folder and run the option "Open terminal here."

Then you execute the sh commands from the first page, make sure you run Makebackups.sh first, even if it worked already...

Ah, that seems to have made all the difference. Thank you!
Audio is now louder and clearer. Will this patch be affected at all if i decide to overclock my device now?

The Following User Says Thank You to xRobby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xRobby View Post
Ah, that seems to have made all the difference. Thank you!
Audio is now louder and clearer. Will this patch be affected at all if i decide to overclock my device now?
Not at all it doesn't affect it, be warned though, some users have reported problems of their audio being lost after over clocking with the latest kernel. This isn't due to my patches, it's something else and so far it's been a mystery as to the exact cause.

Right so, I've been using the fix for a few days now. And the results are good. Good, but confusing. I unfortunately lost my Battery eye records from before the patch, but I do remember some battery readings for before (I do the same commute every day and listen to music). Before, 80 min of music playback would cost me about 5-6%, this morning (and fairly consistently) it used up 1-3% . Also, using DrNokSnes, the emulator, I went through about 30% every hour, now its closer to 25%. Less of a gain but still an improvement nontheless.

Apart from BoostN900, no other patches have been applied to my freshly flashed N900. (NB I can post some graphs later if you want, but bear in mind there will be no "before" to compare them with).

The Following User Says Thank You to Surreptitious For This Useful Post:
I see a slight increase in battery life, using the "seat of my pants" test.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
I installed this and it made no difference to my N900's headset volume ... what has happened though is I have no audio when I use the N900 camera to record a video ... can anyone help me put the backup I created back correctly??

EDIT: I managed to restore the original settings back using the OPs instructions.
Recoring now records with audio "Phew"

1) Why would this have stopped audio being recorded?
2) Can anyone help me with my original question I posted in this post http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...375#post876375 as that is the reason I installed 'BOOST N900'

Last edited by fraaaaanka; 2010-11-17 at 20:48.

There's something bizzare that I discovered with my patches, but I need to confirm it first.

Apparently my patch relieves some sort of load on the N900 device which in turn makes the N900 faster, even after removing them.

To confirm this:

Could anyone who has never used my patches (and are willing to) perform this test for me:

Before applying the BoostN900 patches, run some emulated games that usually run slowly. Preferably games from emulators such as the PSX, and Mupen64.

After running the games on your device, take a note of it's performance, whether it runs slowly or quickly.

Next Install my BoostN900 patches and reboot the N900 device.

Run the same test again, and note of the difference in performance.

After Observing the difference in performance, Remove my patches using the RestoreDefaults.sh. And restart the device.

Run the same tests again.

Did it or did it not make a difference in the games when my patches were removed?

This is important because if it did make a difference, I have something special in store

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
After Observing the difference in performance
If you turn 'view framerate' or whatever it may be called, on, it will give you a much better, quantifiable indication of how things are performing.