Active Topics

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Just wondering if there is any way to increase the volume of the FM transmitter further than its max. I am aware of the FM boost program that boosts the transmitters power but this isn't what I am looking for. I work in a loud factory and I have noticed that the volume of the N900's FM transmitters frequency is noticeably lower than a standard FM station. Thanks

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Zealand
Yes your right.... That's what i want to know too.

i am not sure, but fiddling around with bars here might help.

open xterminal

alsamixer -c 0

Third from the first bar is FMTX Fun , playing with it may help you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tusharmax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Zealand
Wow it works Thanks for that...and at the same time i was like WOW alsamixer looks so cool feels like im back in the Dos days mmm i want a Dos Theme..

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by tusharmax View Post
i am not sure, but fiddling around with bars here might help.

open xterminal

alsamixer -c 0

Third from the first bar is FMTX Fun , playing with it may help you.
Thanks for this . Is there anyway to increase this level to +dB gain? Or would this harm the device?

Last edited by Magel282; 2010-04-23 at 12:58.

i have no idea man, but can try fiddling with them. even if you screw up the settings are defaulted back after reboot.

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Once again, lifting an old thread instead of making new one. But I'm interested of this too. When I use radio transmitter in my car, the volume level is very low compared to radio stations. Guys above say that it is possible to rise volume level from alsamixer. However, in my device there is no volume adjusting in FMTX Fun, just on/off switch. I wonder if something has changed in the software after this, or am I just stupid?

By the way I found another thread:http://talk.maemo.com/showthread.php?t=41137 where people say that it isn't possible at all. So is it?

Of course I could just use 3,5mm jack to connect to my car audio, but using FM transmitter would be way more cool (and one less cable in the mess).

edit: Hmm, top 3 in Active topics have my post as last one. Hope this isn't too annoying. I just have too much time on my night shift and also I'm still thrilled with my N900. And have learned a lot.

Last edited by Koiruus; 2018-03-27 at 01:02.

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
Once again, lifting an old thread instead of making new one. But I'm interested of this too. When I use radio transmitter in my car, the volume level is very low compared to radio stations. Guys above say that it is possible to rise volume level from alsamixer. However, in my device there is no volume adjusting in FMTX Fun, just on/off switch. I wonder if something has changed in the software after this, or am I just stupid?

By the way I found another thread:http://talk.maemo.com/showthread.php?t=41137 where people say that it isn't possible at all. So is it?

Of course I could just use 3,5mm jack to connect to my car audio, but using FM transmitter would be way more cool (and one less cable in the mess).
FM transmitting is quite strange in my case: in my old 22 years old car it was working fine almost anywhere in the car. The company I work for has 2-3 old cars and I always have to place my n900 to a proper place and it is still not working fine most of the times - it is quiet and has some annoying sounds... I have a newer car now (17 years old, haha) and in it it is working fine... So... Maybe it has to do something with the receiver...
Or you can install an equalizer - I installed mafw-gst-eq-renderer and tweaking with it so maybe you can find the proper settings for your car...
Or on my chrooted kali linux system I have alsamixer (just type it) and there I can raise sound level from terminal (I do know whether it is available on Maemo5).
And I found this on github I do not know whether it has to do something to this topic though...

Last edited by justmemory; 2018-03-27 at 08:35.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
I've made the experience that the volume of a N900's FM transmission seems to be lower if it is transmitted on a frequency that has a lot of white noise. This usually happens close to the frequencies of regular radio stations, whether they are actually broadcasting a program or not.
My guess is, that the receiver surpresses white noise and a portion of the N900's signal with it.

So my suggestion is to chose a frequency that is at least 3 or 4 MHz away from any regular radio frequency. In some regions with a dense radio network this might be hard or impossible to reach.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: