hi, using the infrared port anyone can create an application for measuring a room.
The apps must to sell a IR signal and then start a timer...the signal bounce on the wall and return to the IrDA...the application can stop the timer and using the timer we can calculate the distance between the wall and the phone!

The Following User Says Thank You to viic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
i am pretty sure there is only a transmitter of Ir signals, we cannot return them back. So, NO

The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
The Ir is only transmit but I believe the camera can detect the frequency it emits, albeit at too low a refresh rate to do standard send and receive so the beam would need to be emitted for long enough for the camera to detect it.
Does that help?

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
There is an application for measuring smaller things, Metre.

I don't know is it any good in measuring something as large as walls, but it's pretty accurate with small things (+-1mm).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to laasonen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Combine with N900Fly, just throw your N900 across the room, and when it hits the wall you should have your measurement!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
maybe enough information from camera focus to measure distance??

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
Combine with N900Fly, just throw your N900 across the room, and when it hits the wall you should have your measurement!
This did not work as it recorded the bounce movement as well, damn you!!!

PS. is there a re-assembly thread?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
maybe enough information from camera focus to measure distance??
+1. Seems the most sensiible idea. Could go something like this: Open camera lens cover, quit out of the camera, start the measuring app, hold the N900 with the screen flat against one wall and then press the shutter button. Then the measurement is displayed on-screen.

May even be possible to make the app work out the area after a second reading is taken.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
+1. Seems the most sensiible idea. Could go something like this: Open camera lens cover, quit out of the camera, start the measuring app, hold the N900 with the screen flat against one wall and then press the shutter button. Then the measurement is displayed on-screen.

May even be possible to make the app work out the area after a second reading is taken.
The new camera-ui now part of the CSSU gives a focus distance readout. However, it is not always clear what is being focussed upon, depending on scene of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I don't think the focussing information is going to be that accurate, and it would need a wall with a high contrast part to focus on - a plain wall just will not work.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:

Tags
ha ha ha ha ha