Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Fife Scotland
Ordered. I hope the campaign reaches its goal. I also hope I take delivery of the tablet this time

Thanks Chen and good luck!

David, Nottingham UK

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
So ordered one, hopefully the campaign goes successful.

Had to get the 64gb version, because wanted the color to be red. I am not going to do anything with the extra space, but serious question to you people.

Do you really, really need that much disk space on a tablet? How in the hell? What do you guys keep on your tablets D: ?

Now of course, if someone does actual work on it and can't use cloud services I understand. We have four or five tablets in our family in use, and not one of them has gone over 5gb of used space. Not counting the OS's of course.

So with real curiosity, what are you keeping in your tablets if 32gb is not enough?

Music or video? But how about all the streaming services? Also it is so easy to put movies and music to separate small usb-stick. And that way you don't have to worry what device to take with you, just attach the usb to your keys.

Files stuff in general? Doing heavy work, basically whatever it might be, is so taxing on a tablet, that being it designing, excel based, writing/reading, it IMO is much more effective when done with laptop or desktop. So why bother? I meet lot of clients in my work and have tablet with me just in case, but if there is even a slight possibility to use laptop, I always go with that rather. Also keeping your precious files, say family pictures, only on your tablet doesn't sound very secure to me. Ease of losing it etc. and it not being generally as dependable as other possible data storage devices.

Just hoping to hear what I the reasons for huge disk space that I fail to see. For me tablets are 100% for leisure and couch surfing. So I am probably not seeing it correctly so hoping to educate myself here.

Last edited by Boxeri; 2017-07-06 at 10:37. Reason: Typos

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
You don't have kids, do you?
I have my tablets filled with (huge) games and movies for them to watch, especially on trips.
SD card could help, but not on iPads.

PS backed the 64GB version too, I wanted it red.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to magullo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
No cloud service in my workshop, my JollaC contains workshop manuals and parts catalogues for my various vehicles.

No cloud service in my off road toy, when I'm several miles up an unpaved lane and need high resolution mapping. My Nexus 7 (which never sees the internet) has a great GPS, and (I grudgingly admit) some decent mapping software, but the poor thing is bulging with the map data onboard. If it had more space, there would be more maps on it

In truth I could get by with less, but more means (a) I can be lazy about sorting whats needed and what isn't, and (b) one device can be useful for more tasks at the same time.
The Nexus 7 is pretty good as a mapping solution, and as a workshop reference, but it can't be both without more storage.

Excellent use for a tablet for me is as a pdf viewer of technical data. Even when sat at my desk, with three monitors in front of me, it's sometimes useful to be able to refer to a document without disturbing the work in progress. In the office or at home I can obviously use the wifi. At a customers site, or in my workshop, or on the road, that's not an option. Even with 4G it would be impractical, requiring VPN into my secure server for confidential data, with the limits that come from having the server connected to rural broadband services.

It's a shame the larger format Kindle device (DX?) never went any further. A large format epaper display with enough horsepower to handle pdfs without effort, simple console for ssh or telnet sessions, uSD card reader and a decent battery life, would be very close to the top of my shopping list.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
About keyboard... "standard US-QWERTY layout", a disappointment there but somewhat understandable as it is the case with almost every other BT tablet cover keyboard that I've seen.

Can the keys be remapped?
Key stickers are a bitch but better than nothing.

(Yes, I know there is the option of language setting for the hardware keyboard in SFOS Settings but as I understand it, it still doesn't guarantee the keys are remapped.)

And to clarify, I could live with US-QWERTY keyboard but the folks I had planned to give this to, probably can't.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by magullo View Post
You don't have kids, do you?
I have my tablets filled with (huge) games and movies for them to watch, especially on trips.
SD card could help, but not on iPads.

PS backed the 64GB version too, I wanted it red.
I'd like it in red too, but it must have a gel case so was happy to get the 32gb version, for reasons stated above about capacity.

(hoping for a red gel case)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tmi View Post
(Yes, I know there is the option of language setting for the hardware keyboard in SFOS Settings but as I understand it, it still doesn't guarantee the keys are remapped.)
Why would it not? It's the one thing it was made to do. Keyboards don't send letters to your device, they send keys. Those keys are then translated on the device to letters, and if you change the device's interpretation of the keys, you change the letters that will appear. The layout of a physical keyboard is not much more than the letters and symbols printed on there to resemble one of the possible interpretations by the device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Why would it not?
Mainly, because I remember having had trouble with the feature with some (cheap no name) BT keyboard when I tested it. However... this was ages ago, there's been plenty of SFOS updates and I don't even have the hardware anymore i.e. the blame could've been anywhere.

Ok, good... once I get my hands on some BT keyboard, I'm going to see whether I'm able to mess this up yet again

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Do jolla steal any money from this project? If so, how much/tablet?

I hope jolla gives licenses for free but if they don't. How many tablets needed to genarate one jolla refund?

5 dollar/tablet in licensing?

Or do your contact have the master key to install OS without jolla?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-06 at 12:59.

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Or do your contact have the master key to install OS without jolla?
Chr Chr.
Chen spoke of a fee he has to pay per tablet iirc.

You were alread asking Jolla at the Blog comments for openness regarding how much is refunded and have no real answer yet.
But didn't James answer sth. like. "to be decided"?

Now you expect "a client of Jolla" to disclose the exact amount to you?
Let me guess, "made my day" rhymes on NDA

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os