Poll: Can Nokia be #1 in USA market with Maemo smartphones?
Poll Options
Can Nokia be #1 in USA market with Maemo smartphones?

Nokia said they want to gain share in USA market, the biggest world market. Even they said they want to be #1 in USA, like they are in the world.
There is tough competition in USA, the latest T-Mobile phone having "Google" logo on the back - a sort of Google phone (running Android), Apple iPhone, RIM Blackberry, Palm Pre, HTC Android and Windows Mobile devices...

Nokia marketing had big problems having the smartphones on USA carriers, and masses are not willing to pay $700 for a smartphone, so if it is not subsidized at $299 it is hard to sell in USA. Carriers are important.

Initially there were rumors N900 will be subsidized on T-Mobile network. N900 has T-Mobile frequencies. Is this gonna be true?

Does Nokia need AT&T and Verizon operators for a future version of N900 (or a Maemo smarthphone)?
Will Nokia support CDMA and not only GSM for Maemo smartphones?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
It WILL be on TMO, most likely at around $249-279, but possibly $199 to compete with Apple. Nokia is already letting people in other countries finance their phones, so they're flexible about getting it in people's hands.

BTW, does Apple need Verizon, Sprint, or TMo to sell iPhones?

Nokia just needs to get the Maemo video on Maemo.Nokia.com on TV, get some "only on TMobile" action going, and send me a gift model for such great advice, which I gave out a year ago. LOL

Maybe nokia doesn't necessarily want or need to sell this phone to every american it can. From what it looks like, they are launching first in germany and italy and the n900 is not even on the nokia US site.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Of course not. Nokia World needs the thunder. After Nokia world, it'll be there.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
BTW, does Apple need Verizon, Sprint, or TMo to sell iPhones?
You have to understand AT&T is the second largest provider in the US @ 78 million subscribers. For apple starting out; going with AT&T or Verizon was the best options. Go with one of the two largest vendors.

TMO is only @ 33 million.
Verizon is @ 88 Million
Even Sprint has more US customers than TMO.

If you add several of the CDMA subscribers together you have a 170 million between a handful of providers. Making a single CDMA version of the phone could unlock a huge market in the USA for Nokia. Adding AT&T bands could unlock another 80 million subscribers. So if your Nokia, would you settle for only targeting a maximum potenial of 11% of the market or going for like 100% of the market by just adding two additional versions of the phone. Even if they decided to blow off AT&T (because of the iphone penetration on AT&T) and just add CDMA they would at be targeting 73% of the USA market...

Nathan

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
They just need to play commercials like this all over and the kiddies will me going mad in the streets, heheh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au_uRmoy8Fs
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Sad news?

Just found this on a blog

http://www.nokiamobiletalk.com/2009/...volution-nw09/

And let me correct one last pet peeve of mine. Many tech review sites are calling the N900 by it’s part number (RX-51). Was the iPhone 3G ever mentioned in any review site as “MB504 B”? The Codename of the N900 is Rover, and will likely NOT be carried by T-Mobile USA, although it is likely to be carried by T-Mobile Europe. T-Mobile in the US does not like Nokia N series of devices because of Nokia’s unwillingness to cripple their product, Apple on the other hand…?

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Sad news?

Just found this on a blog

http://www.nokiamobiletalk.com/2009/...volution-nw09/

And let me correct one last pet peeve of mine. Many tech review sites are calling the N900 by it’s part number (RX-51). Was the iPhone 3G ever mentioned in any review site as “MB504 B”? The Codename of the N900 is Rover, and will likely NOT be carried by T-Mobile USA, although it is likely to be carried by T-Mobile Europe. T-Mobile in the US does not like Nokia N series of devices because of Nokia’s unwillingness to cripple their product, Apple on the other hand…?
Great news (if true), I was hoping for an unlocked device that still supported the T-mobile 3G bands--I'd really like to avoid the T-mo cripple.

When you think about it, this is the model for the N-Series Nokia smartphones that work on AT&T 3G: almost all of them are sold unlocked as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Actually speaking it is good news. But they have to release an unlocked phone with at&t bands also....

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Poll is missing my selection.

Come on, man, just start adding an "Other" at the bottom of the list...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: