Notices

There is one way to add geolocation for diablo:
1) Compile N900 microb-engine
2) Modify a bit Diablo version of microb-eal, libgtkmozembed packages.

As result you should get new engine for diablo.
Also it would be nice to install latest pixman version, (if it possible with optimizations for ARMv6).

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
For all these WebApps/maeMaps, I'm finding that most dragging on the touchscreen of my N800 brings up the on-screen keyboard, which is annoying. (For which reason, I prefer having the arrow buttons for moving the map -- although, sometimes pressing on those too long also calls the OSK.) Also, I find that whenever I drag a map in any direction, it is re-drawn very slowly.

Anyone having any better luck on these issues?

(oops message delete)

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Ok, so maeMaps is now in beta stage: check out the latest version (this is the final URL.).
Now with Local search and Streetview
Welcome to maeMaps, the Google Maps UI for the Nokia N900.
  • Just start typing and hit ⏎ to search a place.
  • For routing, type destination in the right field, hit ⏎. Touch # for directions (or scroll down manually).
  • Use arrow buttons to navigate and +/- to zoom.
  • Dropdown "Roads" to select a different map type.
  • Buttons T/W/S enable the Traffic, Wikipedia and Streetview layers.
  • Button V turns on streetview (slow, uses 200 kB for each pic!)
  • Button • enables GPS (needs "maemo-geolocation" installed) and gets current location (enable location sharing when asked).
  • Use local search in the bottom left to search for Pizza, Banks etc. :-)
  • Optional URL params: from, to, mt (maptype), t(traffic) l(lang).

Glad for user feedback etc.
Not interest in N800/N810 votes right now

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
I'd like to help test but I don't have an n900 (only an n800 as of now). But if there's some way to add in a way to do voice directions and we pretty much have Google Maps navigation.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Would be nice if it were possible to scroll the map using your fingers and to use the +/- hw keys to zoom in/out. Is there a web runtime that could be used so that these sorts of features would be possible?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Another nicety would be if there were a way to select a point on the map and tell the map to center itself there. On Google Maps on a "regular" computer, if you right click at a point somewhere on the map, you are offered various options, including "Center Map Here." The other options are pretty great, too, like "What's here" -- it will give you the address of where you clicked.

This is looking nice. But if possible...add nav and voice.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
If you enable "cursor mode"* in the N900 browser, you can then center-and-zoom to a place by doubletapping it or simply drag the map to pan around.

*Swipe from bottom left about an inch to the right will bring up the control button for that mode.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
This is awesome!!! Really bumps up the N900 in day to day useability when moving from an S60 device!

One request would be:

Is there anyway to emulate the Google Maps "Blue Dot" effect showing where you are on the map? Maybe it could be in the form of a search result style map push pin?

Tags
google maps, microb, n900