Notices

I'm in the process of cutting a 3.1 release. Source is available on Garage right now; binary packages will follow once uploads to the autobuilders work again (I can't upload to the autobuilders right now). I'll update the release announcement in the first post of the thread once binary packages are available.

Changes in this release:
  • Revised finger-friendly GUI for Fremantle by qwerty12.
  • Disable autocapitalization and predictive text input features for the textbox for other_browser_cmd; since the input isn't natural language, these features get in the way.
  • Ensure a reconfig signal (SIGHUP) doesn't interrupt dispatch of a browser launch request when continuous mode is off.

Known issues:
  • (Fremantle only) Launching MicroB doesn't work when Browser Switchboard is installed.

I'd like to get the Fremantle MicroB issue fixed, but I don't have a Fremantle device to debug on. If you think you can help, please see if you can find answers to the questions in this message.

I will be on the road for most of the next two weeks with potentially sporadic Internet access (through N800 + USB keyboard), so I may not be able to respond immediately to messages.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Installable packages of Browser Switchboard 3.1 are now available on Garage and in extras-devel for Diablo and Fremantle. I'll promote the Diablo package to extras in a few hours if there are no reported problems (the changes for Diablo are very small, so there shouldn't be any). I'll update the first post with the 3.1 release announcement later (stupid cold is getting in the way of writing).

EDIT: Aaaaand the Diablo extras promotion interface seems to be broken, so this will have to wait (again ... ugh). Please download off Garage for now if you're impatient -- only enable extras-devel if you know what you're doing!

Last edited by steven676; 2010-01-22 at 15:25.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Any assistance with using Browser Switchboard with Hermes (i.e. Python's webbrowse) module; your help with #8369 would be much appreciated :-)

How to disable browserd on fremantle? With Browser-Switchboard I do not need it anymore.

I think this is only for diablo/N8?0:
http://maemo-sdk.garage.maemo.org/maemo-control.html

Is this key /etc/init.d/tablet-browser-daemon.init ?
(It is not only file under /etc/ containing' browserd')

I'm not brave enough to apt-get remove microb-engine

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
How to disable browserd on fremantle? With Browser-Switchboard I do not need it anymore.
I'm not 100% sure, but try moving /etc/X11/Xsession.post/30tablet-browser-daemon out of that directory and rebooting your device. I'm told this will break the built-in email application too.

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I'm not brave enough to apt-get remove microb-engine
You definitely don't want to do that.

For Fremantle users, there is now a 3.1-1fremantle2 release available on Garage and in Fremantle extras-devel.

The only change in this release is a partial fix for launching MicroB on Fremantle. MicroB should start when the Web menu entry is used, and when it's configured as the default browser (emphasis on should -- I've been able to test in a properly configured SDK, but I don't have a device), but there are a couple of caveats:
  • Opening the Web menu entry (or any other way of opening MicroB without passing it a URL) causes a blank browser window to come up instead of the bookmarks window.
  • Browser Switchboard will kill MicroB after the last browser window closes, even if a bookmarks window is still open.
If you're interested in how this works and why the strange behavior comes up, see the commit message and patch in Git.

A better, more complete solution for launching and closing MicroB may or may not be possible; I'll look into this sometime later. If you have a better solution, please do let me know!

Also, I'd like answers to a few questions from those of you running Fremantle:
  • With Browser Switchboard 3.1-1fremantle2 installed on your device, are there any processes named "browser" running immediately after you restart? (Run "pidof browser" at the shell; if you get a list of numbers, there are browser processes running.) If so, how many?
  • Once you start MicroB, how many processes named "browser" are running?
  • After you close MicroB, are there any "browser" processes running, and if so, how many?

Diablo users: you're not missing out on anything -- all the changes in this release are Fremantle-specific.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
Also, I'd like answers to a few questions from those of you running Fremantle:
  • With Browser Switchboard 3.1-1fremantle2 installed on your device, are there any processes named "browser" running immediately after you restart? (Run "pidof browser" at the shell; if you get a list of numbers, there are browser processes running.) If so, how many?
No process after switching to fennec and rebooting the device.

After loading a website by clicking on a bookmark at the desktop the number of browser-pids also is zero.

• Once you start MicroB, how many processes named "browser" are running?
Two processes.

• After you close MicroB, are there any "browser" processes running, and if so, how many?
Also two processes (same IDs)

Ciao jukey

Me on twitter

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
Also two processes (same IDs)
Huh. Does launching MicroB again (without restarting the device) work? If so, how many browser processes do you have running?

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bangkok
Please excuse my noobness... Just got my n900 3 days ago.
After installing the Browser Switchboard App, my homescreen widgets (twitter, facebook, etc.) no longer open correctly. It looks like the path (http://xyz) is the problem.

How do I fix??

Cheers.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
Huh. Does launching MicroB again (without restarting the device) work? If so, how many browser processes do you have running?
Always two. It does not play a role how many browser windows are opened.

Can somebody without this application installed check how many process ID's are running while at least one browser window is opened?

Btw. there is also a Bug report in the mozilla wiki and this thread is shown as a possible solution.

Ciao jukey

Me on twitter

The Following User Says Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, default, microb, opera