Heya fellas, I am an AT&T user and the proud owner of an N900 since it was released. I am eligible for an upgrade on my AT&T service plan and the Dell Streak is only $99. I don't plan on trading in my N900 anytime soon, but I have to admit the Dell Streak does have some good qualities about it. I would love to pick it up and use both phones without swapping sim cards back and forth.

Is there a way to have 2 phones ring with the same number? I would imagine it would just take 2 of the same sim cards?

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yeah ummm i am relatively sure the network operator won't like that idea. as in it's illegal to even try.

i thought about that too, your only way to get another SIM with the same number is to report missing or stolen SIM but in that case they will deactivate the old and activate the new one..how about then you go to a different branch and activate the old one saying suddenly it stopped working ...but i'm sure they keep online records of the whole processes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AgogData For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
yeah ummm i am relatively sure the network operator won't like that idea. as in it's illegal to even try.
Could you please explain?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
It's up to the operator to support this. My sister had this with Orange in the UK, one SIM went in the car and one in her phone, when the car phone was on it took priority and that one rang.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The only way I can think of doing that is by cloning your SIM... which is very illegal. You can't have two different phones, with two different IMEI''s ringing at the same time - not unless something's changed in AT&T's policy in the last few years.

However, what you could do is swap your SIM as you use the device perhaps.

Isn't the Dell Streak still at Android 1.6?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
How about using Google Voice and have users call the GV number - which is redirected to both the N900 and the Dell Streak numbers (different SIM cards with different numbers).

Its not exactly your use case scenario - cause you wil have 2 diff numbers on the two devices - but one GV number to call both together.

That way both the devices will ring when called on the GV number.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
How about using Google Voice and have users call the GV number - which is redirected to both the N900 and the Dell Streak numbers (different SIM cards with different numbers).

Its not exactly your use case scenario - cause you wil have 2 diff numbers on the two devices - but one GV number to call both together.

That way both the devices will ring when called on the GV number.
But then I don't get 3G on the Streak.

Yeah VoIP with 2 lines is the only option that comes to mind.

Well the only way to fix your problem would be to root/hack/flash the Streak. Put CyanogenMod (this is a custom ROM). Put the SIM card into the Streak (this is now your primary phone).

Turn on the N900 without a SIM card (and use it basically as an Internet Tablet/MID). When you want 3G on your N900, turn on the tether from the Streak (over Wifi).
With the N900 scan for Wifi signals, find the Streak, Enter the password and Connect.

Now if someone calls you, your Streak will ring.
You can use the 3G data/internet on both phones simultaneously (but it might be a little slower).
Be careful of your battery on both devices (especially the Streak) since tethering tends to consume plenty, but if your Streak runs out of battery before the N900 just swap the SIM card into the N900 and keep on going.

I'm doing the same thing with my laptop and my Galaxy S (although I don't have to pay the carrier fees/flash a custom ROM).