Posts: 80 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Albania
Hi guys !
Anybody knows how to edit the firmware files of n900 , i mean the fiasco and the vanilla , i came from symbian modding and it is very helpfull to edit the firmware files ?!

The Following User Says Thank You to UJKU For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Afaik there is no such thing like firmware cooker.
And it is not needed at all, as we can do (almost) all we want with this open system!
The only FW modd I know of is the partition layout modification to flash automatically a 5 GB optfs (24 MyDocs) instead the default 2 GB (27 MyDocs).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Writing this as much to have it confirmed/denied. AFAIK the 'firmware' is just the base filesystem and kernel, I know with some minimal tweaking it is possible to USB flash a backupmenu archive into a N900.

OT:
One thing that would be cool for backupmenu to become far more useful is if it could also save and flash the correct kernel along with archive so we don't end up with bootlooped N900s when we forget to make a new archive after the new kernel-power comes out.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Thank you guys for the replies
Let me tell why i want this : for example i want to install cssu thumb
I want to make a clean install so i flash the latest maemo firmware , then i remove all the apps that i dont want to clean some rootfs space , than i install the cssu thumb , and this procedure take me hours to do it
If we have access to firmware modification we cane make a cssu flashing firmware once and all this hard work is done for 5 minutes

There is another chance that we can do this with backupmenu and i tried installing backupmenu , i made a backup of my rootfs and optfs and before the restore i had 98 MB of free rootfs space , after the restore i had 85 MB free , so i dont think its convenient to restore with it

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Check out 0xFFFF flasher by pali.
I think it should provide the necessary tools/options.
But afaik noone did such firmware f... Wait ... robbie1st made a flashable image some time ago, so it is possible ....

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Check out 0xFFFF flasher by pali.
I think it should provide the necessary tools/options.
But afaik noone did such firmware f... Wait ... robbie1st made a flashable image some time ago, so it is possible ....
Yes i googled that , and i found the pali flasher , it has the option to unpack fiasco images so i'm gonna try to make something

The Following User Says Thank You to UJKU For This Useful Post: