Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Its perhaps good news... buy I simply afraid about the "low end marked (S40 type)" words...

So, to make it clear. The devices are getting cheap and have only 256MB Ram, 800MHz, 2GB Storage, 3" touchscreen, 3MP Camera...
Qt and Linux is great, but I wan't a device to use one a daily basis.

If they say the N9 is only low end because of the used operating system and the Meltemi successor will use similar hardware and perhaps the next generation of them I'm very soon a S40 user again.
"256MB Ram, 800MHz, 2GB Storage, 3" touchscreen, 3MP Camera... "
Sounds like my HTC Magic (in some respects better, like the CPU), the second Android device launched, so top of the line smartphone from two years ago is now "feature phone".. Still using it, a bit sluggish with Android 2.2 but it works until I get my N9 next week. I'm sure they can make decent low-end phones with this hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mi82 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
I don't think anyone should get existed about this. First of all because for now it's just a rumor. Second and maybe most important this is nokia we're talking about they are ment to either fvck up something good or support something really bad. Third of all low end, light weigh,t sounds to me like this os even if it comes to existence will have very low capabilities and probably no way to run a real linux stack on it.

They've been "talking" about meltemi for some time now, The only news here is that its supposed to be linux and not s40. Maybe they decided continue with maemo and drop the s40 qt plans (if this was the plan in the first place). Any future linux distro coming from nokia is gonna be some evolution of maemo.

As harmattan runs fine on 1ghz hardware and with qt 5 it will be even faster UI-wise I don't know why not to go this route.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
I don't think anyone should get existed about this.
Too late. I read it therefore I am.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Personally, I have no real interest in another closed OS controlled by Nokia, Elop and MS. They will never allow any Linux OS they control to be capable enough to threaten WinPhone.

Give me real, open Linux or I might as well keep using Android. At least I have a wide choice of hardware.
Exactly what I've been saying for a while now and one of the two biggest reasons why I didn't get an N900 (the other being I didn't want a cell phone in my tablet... I still don't).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Very interesting. In my opinion Maemo successor > MeeGo/Tizen. If for no other reason than it will hopefully still use .deb and apt-get!

That was my biggest issue with MeeGo, not a big fan of RPMs.
Why?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=135

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
But really.. do they care about security? There aren't even regular kernel and app updates... not since Maemo.. not in MeeGo... why would they use that as a reason to use RPM's over DEB? Mind you--I would LOVE it if they used that as the excuse to do BOTH.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

https://twitter.com/#!/eldarmurtazin...19327852871680
Originally Posted by eldarmurtazin
[...] same people from Maemo team (smaller team). Using the same UI, kernel not the same. No future at all

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
But really.. do they care about security?
Definitely not, considering they couldn't even be arsed to sign the repositories with the correct keys (or maybe they were indeed hacked, who knows? especially in light of recent revelations of other LF-hosted sites being compromised).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
I gotta wonder what the heck is happening in the board room these days. If I was a shareholder I'd be pissed that every week someone comes in with a new idea about how to save the company. Meanwhile, the stocks keep falling.
what do you mean!? this is nothing new. its in the "billion strategy"

Nokia has said from start of elopcalypse that Qt will be used on lorange devices and Meltemi has been discussed before.

They probadly "leaked" it again after yesterdays announcement of tizen. And now maybe with some more info to make the rumor go wild...

too me this is logical step. meltemi is more like Maemo7... I mean loprice devices 2012 will be > 600Mhz perfect running linux instead of broken symbian crap.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux