Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
3. Copy all of image file to directory (cp -R /mnt/ED /media/mmc1/.ED)
You might consider using tar to copy the ED files, as described on this page, in order to "preserve ownership, permissions, and timestamps".

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by zerox View Post
You might consider using tar to copy the ED files, as described on this page, in order to "preserve ownership, permissions, and timestamps".
cp -a will do that for you too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
cp -a will do that for you too.
I'm getting a load of
Code:
cp:Cannot preserve owership of foo: Operation not permitted
messages. I hope this won't be a problem.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

OK, got around the ownership preservation thing but...

I have documented what I'm trying to do at http://wiki.maemo.org/User_talk:Tomj#Prepare_backup,

<plea for help deleted as I have realised how I was being a numpty a bottle of beer and half a bottle of wine at dinner, followed by a shot of tequilla and some 40 year old single malt have evidently helped me reach the Ballmer peak>

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2014-06-22 at 20:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Quick check of understanding: editing /sbin/qchroot as so:

Code:
  echo .... >/dev/stderr
  #mount -o bind /home/user "$CHROOT/home/user"

# Do it the Fremantle way.
  #mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 "$CHROOT/home"
  mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 "$CHROOT/home/user/MyDocs"

should be sufficient for Easy Debian to be able to access MyDocs, but not the rest of maemo's /home, shouldn't it?

Last edited by TomJ; 2014-06-23 at 07:33.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Basically yes, although my version is even simpler (and therefore probably less elegant):
Code:
pp900-a:/sbin# diff closechroot closechroot.old
--- closechroot
+++ closechroot.old
@@ -29,7 +29,7 @@
 fi

#Abort if chroot not mounted.
-if [ "$IMGFILE" != "none" ] && [ ! -f "$CHROOT/var/lock/qmount-complete" ] ; then
+if [ ! -f "$CHROOT/var/lock/qmount-complete" ] ; then
   echo "Nothing to do; chroot not mounted!"
-   exit 1
+   #exit 1
 fi
I don't remember the details but when I had some problems with lingering mounts I decided to use steamroller tactics.
All you have to do is make sure everything that was mounted gets unmounted afterwards.
Thanks. So it might be good idea to include it into the easy-deb-chroot package Do you want to do it yourself as at the moment you're the actual Easy Debian maintainer?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
(...) Of course, if people consider my usability modifications useful (sic!), I could release a tar that, upon extraction, should bring them into Wheezy version, too. No more wheezy images, though as - despite my ever-lasting admiration of sulu for his wonderful work on bringing so nearly complete wheezy experience - I stopped using wheezy alltogether, as the 3 confirmed things that won't work there (chromium, parts of gimp, and [g]parted) are, incidentally, the three things that I use in ED the most

Thanks for your willingness to host images, qole - such stability means a lot in troubles times of dissapearing hosts. I hope you can expect an squeeze-estel-final from me in few days

/Estel
Hi Estel!!

I'm waiting your image with impatience. Browsing (and music too) is what I do with ED.

By the way, how to delete setting files when, for example, I switch images?

I noticed that when I change the images, the settings in ED from previous image was still here (panel for example). It could be useful because i'm obliged to install/uninstall ED each time I switch to a new image (in order to have a clean install)

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
sulu: Your fix is partially in extras-devel ( without the commented out #exit 1)

I noticed a problem, though, that /var/lock/qmount-complete isn't created. Therefore, closechroot thinks there've been no mounts

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Sorry for the late reply!

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
sulu: Your fix is partially in extras-devel ( without the commented out #exit 1)
I'm not quite sure I understand. Commnting out exit 1 is my "fix".

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I noticed a problem, though, that /var/lock/qmount-complete isn't created. Therefore, closechroot thinks there've been no mounts
That's why exit 1 is commented out and why I said my solution would be less elegant - you could also call it dirty.

btw:
I have no ambitions of becoming a true ED maintainer. I only have very rudimentary knowledge of the packages and no intentions to change that.
Please feel free to apply any changes you like!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
link me to the latest estel image or alike . did he release it or i am missing something

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze