Active Topics

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Hi All,

Recently, I got motivated to do something useful and interesting apart from my regular job. It's when I thought of developing some apps (NIT/N Series/Android Phones/Linux PC's). In my quest to find where to start and on what to start, I googled a lot to get to an proper answer. The results say that since I was familiar with C/C++, I should choose Qt.

Disclaimer: I have never developed any apps before. I have no GUI experience. No mobile experience either.

So now, when Nokia says, it will eventually move to Qt, what does that mean in simple (-h format :-)) terms. What will happen to the current existing apps (NIT). If not Qt, on what are they being developed now (GTK+?)?

And now the big question. How are Symbian, Android, Qt, S60, GTK+, KDE connected (or not?).

If I want to develop something for the NIT (those with Qt support), what should I be knowing?
If I want to develop something for the N-Series phone, what should I be knowing?
If I want to develop something for Linux PC's, what should I be knowing?
If I want to develop something for Android phones, what should I be knowing?

Qt says it is a cross-platform application framework. So, is Qt THE ANSWER to develop for all the above mentioned environments.

This may sound a bit noobish to many but your answer/s would assist my understanding on this topic and ideally help me choose one over the other.

I am so confused on all this that I still have a lot more questions that needs to be answered. But, let me postpone them for some more time.

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Tags
android, development, maemo, qt creator, symbian