Active Topics

Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
I still trust Nokia, but as Retsaw said, it will be better to wait the next devise to make its proves. By the way if there is no keyboard it will surely not worth to be bought.

Trust Nokia? No. Buy a MeeGo device? That's a per device decision.

It's probably not going to have a hardware keyboard, probably no stylus/glove usage, it will have poorer support than a mainstream device and lack essential features, because it is yet again an early adapters OS. And this time we know there's no upgrade path. At all.

So, knowing that, what's left? Will it be more locked down or can we still use EasyWhatever on top? I don't know. The competition is growing more powerful, too.

I am not sure what the N950 has to offer that goes beyond what Dalvik has to offer. I am not even sure it'll go beyond the N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
This (hypothetical N950) could succeed, If it would have at least all the hardware components the other high end devices have, like Samsung Galaxy S2: dual-core CPU >1Ghz, 1GB RAM, 8MP camera, A-GPS, NFC, digital compass, and so on.

Also if it would have Dalvik VM, many Android-developers and Android-fans would gladly transfer to Meego.

I am just afraid, that Elop really is that Trojan horse and even if there would be some kind of plans for N950, Elop will sabotage it somehow like not allowing high end hardware to end to this first Meego phone, because it would be a real threat to MSFT.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
icing on the #nokia #fail cake

i went into an official nokia store today to buy a replacement WH-205 headset. Of course, despite being on their website, it was "not on our computer" but I could buy the alternative headset for 4 times the price, which (after 10mins of haggling - "can't open the packet", "no refund") I managed to test on my n900 and confirm the controls did not work with the music player. Then got a tirade of abuse when I mentioned I had installed the headphone daemon to use the headset button to skip tracks. They finished by saying - complete with eye-roll - "you've voided your warranty by installing 3rd party software".

On an n900? i thought that was the whole point? i couldn't even be bothered to say "if i only installed nokia software my phone would have about 10% of the functionality it has now"

came home and bought a genuine wh-205 headset off ebay for $10. would rather put up with a couple of days delivery wait than have anything to do with nokia ever again. much as i love the original concept of this phone and the passionate and loyal community, my n900 will be replaced by an alternative manufacturer's device running android in coming months.

nokia front-line staff obviously as clueless as their senior management.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gjh98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
The N950 is going to be the only open phone for quite sometime. I will buy it and show nokia that there is still interest in a nokia meego phone. Hopefully it will serve me well until the next disruption.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
If N950 works even nicer than my N900 today, I don't see why I shouldn't buy it. MeeGo is an open source OS and the community does it pretty well at developing new apps.

I'm not for MS-Nokia marriage but I don't see why it should affect my decision.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsan4345 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Indonesia
well i like my n900 but i think Samsung Galaxy s II would be the next without dump my n900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dhicky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Greece
I only hope that the device will be a phone and we are not about to have another surprise from nokia.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to evan For This Useful Post:
The lack of clarity from Nokia at the moment is their greatest problem.

If it's confusing for us the users - imagine what it's like for those attempting to work there and drive the platform(s) that they may or may not be targeting, depending on who you listen to, and at what point in time.

If I could choose a strategy for Nokia right now, given the announcements already made, then I'd say that Symbian is to be phased out and replaced by Windows 7. Meanwhile Meego is to be developed for high-end platforms with the goal of generating a Nokia-centered ecosystem like Android or iPhone.

Now can I have Elop's salary? Pretty please?

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
This (hypothetical N950) could succeed, If it would have at least all the hardware components the other high end devices have, like Samsung Galaxy S2: dual-core CPU >1Ghz, 1GB RAM, 8MP camera, A-GPS, NFC, digital compass, and so on.
A stack of fancy hardware will be of no value if we aren't able to make maximum use of it as we see best.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hootenholler For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada bing, bada rox, bada rulez, bada suckss, bada sux, lam bada, lol @ bada, nokia defiled, science fiction