It seems that there are several issues with the current Sailfish OS release. To name the most often mentioned issues in order of severity:
- OS update process issues (blocker)
- general stability issues (critical)
- missing features and stability issues in WLAN connectivity (major)
- e-mail syncing issues (major)
- missing features and bugs within built-in browser (major)
- incomplete support for MS ActiveSync (important)
- incomplete Android app support (important)
- etc.

In my mind, Jolla should stop developing new features (MMS, portrait mode, 4G etc.) for time being and concentrate all efforts on getting the current features complete and all the bugs rooted out.

Judging on the shear number of reported bugs and missing features, I would think Jolla needs half a year to fix the OS, then release a true "beta" version next summer and test that for a couple of months, and have a stable "1.0" release next autumn.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Up to now I have been quite satisfied to the way they have rolled out the updates, what problems have you encountered?

If Jolla manages to do, for example a kind of 2-beat-update cycle, delivering new features each other month and stability fixes to existing things on the months between I am very impressed and pleased.

On the whole, in my opinon Sailfish is pretty good package for an os labeled as beta, much more mature OS releases (well, releases not claimed as beta by the said companies at least) by much larger companies suffer just as many problems and critical bugs

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Joll has not written that the only new features want to install.
Of course, also bug fixes too!
The wrote that incorporate new features in Q1-2014. Q1 has January, February, March. Maybe bring in March, the new features and January and February, the bug fixes!?

According tbr23 from the C-base hit from Saturday will probably a new update appear in 1-2 weeks.

Last edited by cvp; 2014-01-07 at 11:24.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
On the whole, in my opinon Sailfish is pretty good package for an os labeled as beta, much more mature OS releases (well, releases not claimed as beta by the said companies at least) by much larger companies suffer just as many problems and critical bugs
I can't agree more.

Originally Posted by IlkkaP
Judging on the shear number of reported bugs and missing features, I would think Jolla needs half a year to fix the OS, then release a true "beta" version next summer and test that for a couple of months, and have a stable "1.0" release next autumn.
Maybe... "beta" is subjective. Remember the SDK? It's still "alpha" and yet it's the most complete and functional out of the box SDK I've seen. Tried Android and iOS and you either end up downoading 10 things from different places and installing them in the wrong order -or- paying for it to find out that your Mac OS X is too old/slow/you didn't accept the latest T&C's.

I'm personally not ready to tell non-tech friends and family that this phone is for them, and when I will be ready, I reckon the OS will be stable for me, but one needs to be careful... the non-tech user may never install an update in their lives. I've got fairly young friends who are still on iOS4 in an iPhone 4 (!!!) and my gf's mother hasn't updated her E7 to Belle (but I wouldn't trust her to do so safely anyway).

With stable releases, you also get very few updates, if none until the next release, which could be in a year. And that's ok.

The real question to me is: what is 1.0's scope in terms of features? We do know that they are stabilising the OS, and it will be stable enough for the beta tag to be removed, I do wonder about features though, some of which are coming (e.g., LTE).

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Up to now I have been quite satisfied to the way they have rolled out the updates, what problems have you encountered? ...
well, like apps+os update(s) recently, if not doing it in order "first os then apps" but making it in the other way around -> couldnt get the os update rolling. So not quite there yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to andreas1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by IlkkaP View Post
It seems that there are several issues with the current Sailfish OS release. To name the most often mentioned issues in order of severity:
- etc.
None of those are issues for me.

What's an issue for me are the missing features. CalDAV, CardDAV, SIP, Flickr Account integration, DropBox integration, Offline maps, Turn-by-Turn Voice Nav.

In my mind, Jolla should stop developing new features (MMS, portrait mode, 4G etc.) for time being and concentrate all efforts on getting the current features complete and all the bugs rooted out.
Judging from your list, you have specific bugs that affect you that do not affect me. The missing features however affect me greatly so I would rather see them add features than waste time fixing ActiveSync or Android - features I don't care about as I don't use them. I'm being obviously selfish here but just showing that we have different sets of features that are important.

I really hope not. Almost a year of beta would be too long. I would think they have 3 months at most.

They need to open up a few layers of the OS so that 3rd parties can add the services that are missing. For instance I don't think we yet know how to add services that show up in the Accounts settings or add to the events view. Some of that is nemo of course.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
What's an issue for me are the missing features. CalDAV, CardDAV, SIP, Flickr Account integration, DropBox integration, Offline maps, Turn-by-Turn Voice Nav.
+1 for at least CalDAV, CardDAV, SIP, Offline maps and Turn-by-Turn Voice Nav. Oh, and a native IRC client, to access the #jolla IRC channel!

+1 native irc client

Main thing keeping my n900 as primary device.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
- etc.

I think you and I have to wait until jPhone ll.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Jolla announced in a press release
After the limited availability sales start of Jolla smartphones with Sailfish OS
beta, Jolla has released three significant software updates. The fourth update will be released at
the beginning of March, after which the software will be commercially ready for global distribution
It is not 100% clear that the March update will be the First Non beta release or if that is the last beta release. Still it is coming soon, be that March or April. Looking forward to getting sailfish on my Android tablet too as switching between the two only highlights how awful android gesture logic really is.