Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by junooni View Post
Now compare these stats and then compare the price tags. And do the math, where is the more bang for ur buck??
Well if you ask me, all the bang for my buck is with the N900 because Nokia doesn't tell me what I can and cannot do. Whether it's a good platform or not for proprietary software developers is completely not a concern for me (since they would rather I use the DRM'd platform that takes all control away from me.)

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Well if you ask me, all the bang for my buck is with the N900 because Nokia doesn't tell me what I can and cannot do. Whether it's a good platform or not for proprietary software developers is completely not a concern for me (since they would rather I use the DRM'd platform that takes all control away from me.)
really??
you have paid $600+ for a device that doesnt even come with a decent map software.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leeds, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
well, I am C# developer of 5 years, and I had some big plans to make some n900 apps, but I really couldn't find 1 straight article that would go from start to finish on how to instal the virtual machine, to how to compile my first app, to how to run it on the emulator. After a couple days I just gave up.

I might pick it up again in a few months.

so my guess could be lack of such straightforward development support?it's a trade off, but here's how it works for apple:
you pay a fee
you get a membership and access to stuff
there is a tutorials section with sample apps and how to get started

here's how the maemo sdk stuff went
I scoured the forums

found a wiki with instructions that weren't detailed enough on how to install a virtual machine

I have no clue how to compile my first app, but it all seems to be in command line?

I gave up

maybe this stuff is only for linux gurus
If your still interested I am willing to help get you up and running. This is something I have recently done so could show you how, even setting up the dev environment to compile your first app. command or win based. Just pm me if you want.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Since the C# developers are a majority in this thread:

Vala Quick Intro for C# Programmers

And some more info from the Changelog since the above is not updated with the latest news:
http://live.gnome.org/Vala/Release

Last edited by Bundyo; 2010-04-07 at 18:42.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leeds, United Kingdom
really??
you have paid $600+ for a device that doesnt even come with a decent map software.
hmmmm before nokia and google announced free navigation software, can anyone name a device that came with decent map software as standard???? You cant suddenly impose limitations upon a product because it doesnt have mapping software. I could just as well say I expect the n900 to have blender 3d app or openoffice built in as standard just because its free. The n900 is a great phone with app development in its infancy.

if you want the uber phone/app combo I suggest you put your wish list into the mythical phone company in the sky. Im sure they would be happy to honour your request LOL

Development with Qt / QtCreator can be very fast, so that's not the issue.

Generally the learning curve for Maemo development is high, since you need to know linux, debian packaging, maemo API's, toolkit API's (gtk/qt), tracker, etc... The downside of all these open source tools and libraries is that coding style will vary, documentation is scattered and not uniform, and there's not a single development environment that can handle even most of the process (QtCreator / MADDE is going in that direction but they should have been there already!).

Ovi store is also a mess, there's no clear information on when/how/who can publish N900 or when Qt apps will be supported. And I've seen a lot of independent developers complaining about the policies and walking away after spending weeks or months learning the platform.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Interjection:

Whoever tagged this post "you don't know wtf you're talking about" needs to take their own advice, because they clearly have no idea what THEY are talking about. Idiot.

Resume Conversation

really??
I didn't buy a GPS unit, I bought a mostly open source internet tablet that (this time around) included cellular capabilities and did voice too.

The only other option was a pile of keyboardless Android devices, Android devices with lackluster hardware, CDMA networks, and locked down devices. Oh and I don't like Android's Java sandbox. So much reinventing the wheel, and so little compatibility with existing technologies.

Frankly I (and not just me) see such map software as secondary. And if I need maps on the go, between Google Maps and Ovi Maps I'm good (and I already have a TomTom One for navigation.)

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
You can create an app for N900 so quickly it will make your head spin. I followed the directions for installing MADDE, modified a hello world C++ QT app, did a make, and the app was runnable on my laptop. I did a make clean and did the make through madde and copied the file to my N900 and I had a running app on the phone. It automatically had the N900 look-and-feel, and just wanted some packaging to make it useful for others to install.

The only thing that took any time was looking up the C++ syntax I couldn't remember. And I want to spend some time making it look better and figuring out packaging before I think about sharing it with the world. But the point is that it is insanely easy--and even easier if you use Python over C++. Your first app might take a day or to to muddle through, but your second or third can be churned out very fast. And
the QT app can run almost unchanged on your PC or on symbian or on winmo.

I suggest you install Madde and QT and build the hello world app. Run it on your phone. At that point you'll see how simple it is. Then modify it to do something else like add two numbers or show the current time in big red letters. In a few hours you will have an app of your own. You can have an app posted to extras-dev for the rest of us to enjoy in less time than it takes to fill out the paperwork required to let other people see your app in the iTunes app store.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I didn't buy a GPS unit, I bought a mostly open source internet tablet that (this time around) included cellular capabilities and did voice too.

The only other option was a pile of keyboardless Android devices, Android devices with lackluster hardware, CDMA networks, and locked down devices. Oh and I don't like Android's Java sandbox. So much reinventing the wheel, and so little compatibility with existing technologies.

Frankly I (and not just me) see such map software as secondary. And if I need maps on the go, between Google Maps and Ovi Maps I'm good (and I already have a TomTom One for navigation.)

For cryin out loud its a basic feature in a smart phone these days,
Hellooooo! this is 2010..it's a shame a device so high end lacks a basic mapping software.
And for when you say, you & jut you that;s not the thread is about it's about majority of the ppl, how bought into nokia's marketing. And in not a single comemrcial its mentioned that it's not a phone but some internet tablet for open source OS. for e.g this was the main commercial in europe, asia & for us here in NA on web sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYnx0PUX7Do#

The point is this device shoudn't have been trageted for the main stream users if it wasnt meant to be but just for peogrammers/devels who wanna stay restricted and limited when it comes to practicality, applications & actual daily usage of a current day smart phone or internet tablet. With a big price tag & so called Nokia's Flag Ship device.

Tags
junooni doesn't get it, wmarone gets it