Active Topics

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
lol saw that... the chinese is faking everything these days, especially mp3 players. it had to happen someday. worst thing is that the prise isnt that much lower than a n800, and the specs of the thing are crap xD

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Herndon, VA, USA
I guess they reused the case molds or something?

Hmmm. Different stylus, so no, not the same molds. Love that 320x240 display, and that's over half the cost of an N800.

But it does have right-hand buttons!
Come on, Nokia! If the Chinese can, why don't you!

haha, I saw this on Engadget

That is hilarious. I didn't think the Chinese would ever copy the N800....
Now where's there N810 knockoff?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Wow! This will be a joy for whoever's always asking about "Why is it not a Phone?"

Originally Posted by Benson View Post

But it does have right-hand buttons!
Come on, Nokia! If the Chinese can, why don't you!
Really? Are you left handed? I would imagine that Nokia designed the N800 with the buttons on the left because most folks are right handed ( sorry south paws ) I agree wih this since my right hand is busy with the stylis. So, what's your thinking on the right side for the buttons?

Neil

Not left handed, thank goodness! Perhaps you misunderstood; I don't advocate ditching the left-side buttons, they're important and well-placed.

I want additional buttons on the right so you can hold it in both hands, like a game controller (and play games). Good for any button-intensive work. If there was, say, a batch of 3 switches mounted over there for your right thumb, arranged in a kinda-rocker-ish fashion, you could scroll up and down web pages with that, while selecting links with the d-pad. Great for the less-finger-friendly websites.
Also good while driving, or otherwise incapable of making accurate finger selections. I hate it when my finger-swipe (for scrolling) bounces, and I just clicked something.

Also, if you use fingers a lot, rather than the stylus, then your right hand can task-hop between the screen and buttons. If software were more flexible, I'd think about hacking together a USB keyboard that clips on the right side of the unit. (Chop a USB keyboard, replace keyboard circuitry with a few switches, and cable with a mini-b plug, and hot-glue the whole mess together.) But it's not simple to make that work without disabling the on-screen keyboard (and I don't have time anyway).

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
warranty: 3 months