Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Oh, and what's this? A bluetooth USB hub?
http://www.inspector-gadget.co.uk/blog_134.shtml
Neat, but:

I just want to add that the Bluetooth USB Hub has power surge protection and is 2.0 USB, which means it’s faster than USB 1.0, but as a side note, it does still work with ALL USB devices, even USB 1.0.
With BT 2.1 having ~ 2.1Mbit/s max, this is good to know

The Following User Says Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
For myself, I am wondering if anyone knows If I will be able to use this hardware: http://www.iogear.com/product/GBS301/ (or something similar) to connect to cisco devices and use a "dialer" program to manage them? If so my needs will be met.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
What's stupid about this, is that it seems like nokia could have released two devices that fit both markets, it's what nokia is good at, making a range of devices to fit as many user types. Why not release two devices, the n900 and also a larger screened version of the n900 with usb host and maybe an external SD slot, to keep your techie evangelists and often developer crowd happy.
When looking at the reason Igor Stoppa gave for the n900 *not* having host mode, I don't see how they could have built another device having it and coming out at the same time.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
I have no doubt that the problem will eventually be fixed, but when? I'll be quite upset if I buy a N900 then find out that the N910 is just around the corner.

Of course if there is 'unofficial' capability as with the N8x0 it solves the problem. Has anyone with an N900 tried the N8x0 Activate OTG mode script?

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ok, I'm just as disappointed as everyone else here that there's no USB host on the N900.

But I'm so confused when I read these posts. "I bought the N8x0 so I could leave the laptop at home, but with the N900 I'd have to bring the laptop!"

What happened to your N8x0?

Last I looked, my tablet was still a lot smaller than a laptop, and it does USB host and it has a bigger screen. But the N900 has a much faster processor and it has a built-in phone. Between the two devices, you have it all.

For the 1% of the time that you need USB host mode, you can make a little more space for your old N8x0. It also is very useful for giving to the kid(s) as a in-flight movie center.

We definitely need a little app that does a fast ad-hoc wifi connection and VPN between an N8x0 and N900, allowing file transfer, internet sharing, and remote control (via vncviewer / x11vnc).

I'm still hopeful that someone will write a workaround driver that will put the N900 into "damn the consequences host mode," a software host mode that (probably) won't supply any power to the USB device, and must be manually enabled and disabled and won't allow charging while in use.... It seems that it should be possible, just not recommended.
I read more about Qgil and Igor messages that they posted earlier. My understanding is that the limitation is caused by a fact that the N900 USB connector, since not the OTG type, but regular micro-USB, is missing one line that the USB controller needs to switch the operating mode (host/client). Most likely the USB controller has been hard wired to stay in client mode. (Like terminating that "OTG-line" to +5V on the motherboard, if I recall correctly the polarity requirement.) It seem the SW can not override that HW signal.

So, you may be able to get it to work in host mode, but you need to open the device and disconnect the "OTG-pin" from the USB controller and then add switch etc. to it for changing the operating mode. If that is a BGA part, then it is pretty much impossible.

Again, just a guess what I think whats' going on there. I do not have knowledge how this USB port is done on actual N900.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
No OTG is a bummer. Next thing someone tells me syncevolution won't work

My main use for OTG would have been a USB keyboard. I still haven't found a decent portable bluetooth keyboard with German qwertz. I don't like the small layout of Nokia's SU-8W, I love the design folding into 4 parts, as there are 4 rows of laptop-size keys.

I still have a very nice PalmOne IR foldable keyboard. Having read that the n900 has IR, does anyone recon there'll be drivers for my keyboard?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by AnimalMind View Post
For myself, I am wondering if anyone knows If I will be able to use this hardware: http://www.iogear.com/product/GBS301/ (or something similar) to connect to cisco devices and use a "dialer" program to manage them? If so my needs will be met.
You should be able to as this is what kind of what carman does (ish)

http://openbossa.indt.org/carman/

But I wouldn't say definitely unless someone can try it!

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ok, I'm just as disappointed as everyone else here that there's no USB host on the N900.

But I'm so confused when I read these posts. "I bought the N8x0 so I could leave the laptop at home, but with the N900 I'd have to bring the laptop!"

What happened to your N8x0?
I might as well just use my n800 and cheap small phone like I do now, it does most everything I need. The n900 is nice but it is much bigger than my cheap phone, so n800 and n900 I'm taking up more space and $600 for fairly redundant stuff, and really I use the wired ethernet and usb serial everyday, multiple times, so it is not 1% for me. So I might as well have it all on one device, my phone now serves as data and occasional phone mostly through BT headset, so it's a device I never actually touch. Having some important functions on two different devices that one needs to interact with directly is pretty stupid for my needs, I won't waste $600 bucks for that.

Sure I could ssh into my n800 while it's hooked up to wired ethernet, from my n900, but then that means I've set my n800 down and will likely just leave it there and forget about it, and then I'll have to go get it. This was one of the huge pluses for me of the n800, it is constantly in hand, so I don't even have to think about it, and I have to move all over the place and do things, so this is a key consideration for me.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
I have no doubt that the problem will eventually be fixed, but when? I'll be quite upset if I buy a N900 then find out that the N910 is just around the corner.

Of course if there is 'unofficial' capability as with the N8x0 it solves the problem. Has anyone with an N900 tried the N8x0 Activate OTG mode script?
what's your definition for the bolded word?

<=2 months from n900 release? - just around the corner

>=6 months? - one should be worried if nothing better hasn't been announced.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
...Most likely the USB controller has been hard wired to stay in client mode. (Like terminating that "OTG-line" to +5V on the motherboard, if I recall correctly the polarity requirement.) It seem the SW can not override that HW signal.

So, you may be able to get it to work in host mode, but you need to open the device and disconnect the "OTG-pin" from the USB controller and then add switch etc. to it for changing the operating mode. If that is a BGA part, then it is pretty much impossible....
I was thinking of a replacement USB kernel driver that would ignore / override the HW signal when you told it to go into "unsupported host mode". It would have to be 100% software controlled (the user would have to say, "go into host mode" and "go out of host mode") and probably charging and power supply would not be available... but would this kind of software hack be possible?

Closed Thread

Tags
awesomeness in the works, boulevard of broken deals, host, i am the dealbreaker, inspector gadget lies, mobidapter is a scam, nokia fanbois, otg, over 9000, usb, usbcontrol