Solved, thread can be closed.
I bought today Orange prepaid, created the contact with the unlock code as a number. Performed a call to this contact but there was only a message that the call failed. I left the phone with Orange sim for a couple of hours.
I started looking for other solutions but for some reason I hot-swapped Orange sim to my beloved-locked prepaid...and it works.

Strange thing that there was completely no message that phone was unlocked when I performed a call to unlock code Actually in the instructions there is statement that unlock code can be only inserted once and I called this dummy contact about three times.

Strange, but happy.
Thanks to: immi.shk, eres and rainisto. Your replies were inspiring!

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland
Originally Posted by herr_oigg View Post
This ultimate guide http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82693 doesn't recommend changing the product code...

Assuming that it's possible to flash phone with other product code, what future consequences will it have?
Rainisto mentioned something about AT commands, maybe I'll check this. Is it possible to perform call from console level using any other way, for instance dbus?
If you only flash branded FW with generic FW (like I did) without changing product code, will you get notifications about new FW upgrades in the future?

Originally Posted by eres View Post
If you only flash branded FW with generic FW (like I did) without changing product code, will you get notifications about new FW upgrades in the future?
IMO there won't be notification, or there will be notification after specific product gets update.
I need to read once again the ultimate flashing guide

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by eres View Post

Yes you should....
Never been an issue for me & many others that go that route.

Solved, thread can be closed.
I bought today Orange prepaid, created the contact with the unlock code as a number. Performed a call to this contact...

Strange, but happy.
hmm... that was smart...

glad to know its resolved

P.s. - since its solved i guess you should edit your first post "add the solution"... and add [solved] in the title so it could be helpful for others having similar problem...
GODbless

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland
IMO there won't be notification, or there will be notification after specific product gets update.
I need to read once again the ultimate flashing guide
You'are right - there won't be...
This is why I changed also product code - what gives me now all notifications related to generic FW updates - in my case Central Europe version.

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Had the same problem. You only need to ask the operator, the one owning the lock, to unlock it for you. They will do that over the air by issuing a GSM operator message. After that you only need to reboot your phone.
Was that specific to n9? i know having owned a phone dealer/shop for an undisclosed network until recently, that apple were the only manufacturers that had stooped to that level requiring more than just entering a code, although some require having an active sim from the original operator that sold it. N9 weren't locked at all by the one I went through though, so I have no experience unlocking n9.