Notices

Just tried Witter on N800. Haven't read all the comments. I appreciate the ability to retweet which I can't do in mauku. But it tries to paste all the HTML markup along with the message. Also when trying to highlight the extraneous text It ended up highlighting all. Most annoying. Worse though is that once the extra text is removed you cannot add text because the program has already decided that the tweet is too long.

Also any idea when it will support profile pictures and proper kinetic scrolling (but plus on Mauku).

And on a side note. can we N800/810 users get a FB and TWitter widget? Is it that hard?

Thanks for the alternative app and keep up the good work.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Just tried Witter on N800. Haven't read all the comments. I appreciate the ability to retweet which I can't do in mauku. But it tries to paste all the HTML markup along with the message. Also when trying to highlight the extraneous text It ended up highlighting all. Most annoying. Worse though is that once the extra text is removed you cannot add text because the program has already decided that the tweet is too long.

Also any idea when it will support profile pictures and proper kinetic scrolling (but plus on Mauku).

And on a side note. can we N800/810 users get a FB and TWitter widget? Is it that hard?

Thanks for the alternative app and keep up the good work.
Sorry, but the n8*0 version is a gazillion miles behind the n900 version, although it should have some form of kinetic scrolling the latest version available for it.
It's a royal pain to attempt to maintain two versions, and I simply have no motivation to bother. The source is available in garage, and if anyone wants to look at the diffs with the fremantle version they are welcome to bring it up to speed with that version. But it already takes up many hours of my limited free time to develop for n900, its basically not fun or interesting to then backport that work to a device I don't use any more.

So in terms of getting profile pictures, the answer for n8*0 is probably never.
But then the answer for n900 is also possibly never, because I'm still not convinced it is worth the enormous effort to do.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

OK. Thanks for the quick reply.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

0.2.1-8 uploaded to extras-devel. it replaces the tap'n'hold capability with double-tap to bring up a set of buttons in what amounts to a shameless rip-off of the way gravity does it. jst not as well implemented. if anyne knows how to do interesting slidy in-out controls I'm all ears. for now the buttons just pop into visibility and disapear again when dissmissed.

if anyone wants to send me icons to use instead/with the text that would hopefully make it more pretty

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wellington, New Zealand
First off, very nice app Daniel.

My thoughts:
- Feature request: would like to see avatars...if you dont like, maybe give the option to enable/disable them
- Feature request: would like to see a 'more' button...being able to read only the last 20 tweets is restrictive
- Feature request: would like the ability to modify the theme/colours...blue is not my first choice
- Bug: when double clicking on tweets with extra long links, it hides the 'dismiss' button, pushes it out to the right
- Bug: Witter notifys of new tweets, but also notifys when user posts own tweet as new tweet...seems a bit redundant
- Bug: when viewing friends, Witter struggles to display all info...i currently displays a friends name and latest tweet, but if thier last tweet was quite long, it wont all display properly in the friends section
- Bug: kinetic scrolling jumpy and slow, not fluid, smooth or fast

Either way, ya doing a great job.
Cheers

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by dwould View Post
0.2.1-8 uploaded to extras-devel. it replaces the tap'n'hold capability with double-tap to bring up a set of buttons in what amounts to a shameless rip-off of the way gravity does it. jst not as well implemented. if anyne knows how to do interesting slidy in-out controls I'm all ears. for now the buttons just pop into visibility and disapear again when dissmissed.

if anyone wants to send me icons to use instead/with the text that would hopefully make it more pretty
can't wait!!

Everytime you don't click on my blog, I kill a kitten

i love this app i use it every day.
i too would like the above mentioned features added if poaaible.
also is it possible to view the text of long tweets? sometimes not all the text fits in; if not could we add a menu option to view the whole thing.

Feature request - is it possible to add the option to have mutiple searches open at once. i normally have 2 or 3 filters i follow at any one time.

Thanks again for this great app.

My Blog

Originally Posted by euanandrews View Post
First off, very nice app Daniel.

My thoughts:
- Feature request: would like to see avatars...if you dont like, maybe give the option to enable/disable them
the issue is not simply me not liking avatars, it is a question of how much development effort it would take to do any sensible implementation combined with it's effect on performance.
at the moment each tweet is a couple of hundred bytes. but an avatar pic is likely to be a couple of k, so adding the pick is massively adding to the memory usage per tweet.
you have to spawn threads to download the images. then figure out some storage. unless you want to download them fresh everytime. but if you store them you need some strategy to check for updates.
then i'd have to figure out how to get the cell renderer to actually show the images.
all so you there can be a little picture taking up screen space.

- Feature request: would like to see a 'more' button...being able to read only the last 20 tweets is restrictive
what i might try here is storing the last obtained tweet between sessions. and see if twitter will give all responses since then.
- Feature request: would like the ability to modify the theme/colours...blue is not my first choice
i have considered enabling this and font properties. It'snot high on my lst but I'll probably get around to it.

- Bug: when double clicking on tweets with extra long links, it hides the 'dismiss' button, pushes it out to the right
- Bug: Witter notifys of new tweets, but also notifys when user posts own tweet as new tweet...seems a bit redundant
will see about fixing these minor point

- Bug: when viewing friends, Witter struggles to display all info...i currently displays a friends name and latest tweet, but if thier last tweet was quite long, it wont all display properly in the friends section
odd that this only effects friends. the renderer rules shuld be sameywher.

- Bug: kinetic scrolling jumpy and slow, not fluid, smooth or fast
don't know what i can do about that. i just use hildon pannableArea. any performace issue would only get worse avatars

Either way, ya doing a great job.
Cheers
thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stobbsc View Post
i love this app i use it every day.
i too would like the above mentioned features added if poaaible.
also is it possible to view the text of long tweets? sometimes not all the text fits in; if not could we add a menu option to view the whole thing.

Feature request - is it possible to add the option to have mutiple searches open at once. i normally have 2 or 3 filters i follow at any one time.

Thanks again for this great app.
try separating your search terms with commas. eg

#N900, #Witter

will search both of those separatly

awesome thanks for search tip.
I think there might be a bug with the search notification. i always get a message saying new tweets for search blah blah blah. but when i check there aren't any new tweets.

Once again really thanks for the app

My Blog

Tags
python, twitter