Originally Posted by gearspec View Post
Just Like Apple or Banana or whatever, people just want it to work. With n900 one has to work hard, and the rewards are tremendous. (example: I spent a whole day freeing up around 113 MB on the rootfs). General people dont know what is a " MB ", let alone rootfs. With the introduction of siri on banana, in upcoming years people will forget how to optimize and get more than you bargained for, if you work hard. They are pushed far in to the interface and we are pushed far inside the core.

The gap between users and programmers keeps increasing.
Yep. With the arrival of banana and green bug (green-eyed monster? ) now almost everybody brags about their 'smartphone'. I'd like to repeat this comparison and show people once and for all that, although technically they do own a 'smartphone', it is the user, not only the devs who built the OS, who truly defines how 'smart' your otherwise inanimate object is. In my country there's a saying, 'Humans/The individual consecrate(s) the place.' Couldn't apply it any better here.
P.S. 1) I'm taking things to an individual level. Obviously, there are knowledgeable users in every camp, but I can't help feeling that to be called a 'smartphone user' formerly stood for a lot more than today.
2) 'siri on banana'.... just too good

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user/zero For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
gearspec you said it just right there, there are people that just want something that works, and nothing wrong with that at all, and then there are the few (very few) that want more than what i REALLY call a dumb phone.

It also amazes me how much of a dump google took on linux with android, even if you do EVERYTHING (root, kernels etc) you will never get no where near where maemo/meego, and lets not forget that we even have to "suffer" with the closed bits in maemo.
I wouldn't count on it. There may be some technicality somewhere but the only real reason I still carry my N900 is because of GNU/Linux and that's about it (there are other reasons which are not OS related i.e. HWKB, IR, FM radio, etc). When this releases I will consider dumping my N900:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQozs5tXxwY

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
I wouldn't count on it. There may be some technicality somewhere but the only real reason I still carry my N900 is because of GNU/Linux and that's about it (there are other reasons which are not OS related i.e. HWKB, IR, FM radio, etc). When this releases I will consider dumping my N900:

That is pretty sweet with the android/ubuntu mix, but it still isn't enough for me.

I want a big screen with 720P res, the same kinda touchscreen and full ubuntu running on the phone (no mix match), and still having a HWKB, everything else would be nice to have as a bonus, FM, IR etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
I miss my N900 =[. I like my N9 but it is NOT what the N900 is for me. Being on AT&T in the US, I couldn't get 3G with the N900 but I was still in awe with it. I really wish Nokia released a proper successor to it. I don't count the N950 because of its specs, and the N900 really is a mobile computer. I seriously miss that phone and its home screens and multitasking. My N9 is great, but still not the same. The N900 will always be near and dear to me, and still the best device I have used to this day.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackWindEXE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Dhaka, Bangladesh
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
When this releases I will consider dumping my N900:

That is properly cool. All we need is a full desktop distro of linux with an app called "dialer".

Well someday we all have to move on. And may be that device would be it.

PS: did you know there is a course in Stanford University called n900 Programming.
http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee282/...rogramming.pdf

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gearspec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ istanbul
you can not browse www.sahibinden.com with GS2 because it does not opening slide bar in this sites sub menus, but n900 very perfect browsing and opening to slide bar menus in www.sahibinden.com.

iphone, ipad, android and n9 does not opening sub menus on www.sahibinden.com

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
It also amazes me how much of a dump google took on linux with android, even if you do EVERYTHING (root, kernels etc) you will never get no where near where maemo/meego, and lets not forget that we even have to "suffer" with the closed bits in maemo.
The biggest blight in Android (among others) would be Bionic libc. There is no dynamic linker, which pretty much forces you to use a chrooted system if you want to be able to use a proper GNU userland. Unless you're a masochist and statically link all your utilities.

Oh, and did I mention that the rootfs is a ramdisk (holy crap, why? Not even iOS does this.), and the actual system root is in /system, user stuff in /data. It's crazy - as if I were in Windows again with a nonunified root filesystem.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Oh, and did I mention that the rootfs is a ramdisk (holy crap, why? Not even iOS does this.), and the actual system root is in /system, user stuff in /data. It's crazy - as if I were in Windows again with a nonunified root filesystem.
Dunno... seen lots of embedded systems where the root of the filesystem is a ramdisk.

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
sorry for the OT but have you guys seen my posts in the first page ? i was totally AMD , please excuse that
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by sifo View Post
i was totally AMD , please excuse that
We can just give a new name to this condition; AMDtitis anyone?

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: