Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Thank you, I will check it. Sadly I am quite slow nowadays (and also today is scummvm 0.12.0 freeze and tagging day and my Maemo changes are not yet committed :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-08-18 at 19:12. Reason: spelling

My preferences in resolving some of the same issues is to just have something more akin to a GRUB shell available; this is hard for N800/770, of course, as we have no keyboard, but it should be possible. That (in conjunction with using bootmenu.d) also makes it easier to add and change the bootmenu, as well as providing dynamic recovery in the horrible case of having a non-bootable mtdblock4, and having just SSU'd a working mmcblock0p6. You could flash a generic bootmenu, and try things till it boots, just like a GRUB floppy.

Stskeeps, what you're doing looks excellent so far; I might work on a patch for live editing (at least for manual selection of a new entry, if not rewriting the config file; I'd rather not attempt that until I think it over more and until I know the bootmenu.d stuff is finalized and approved for release... ). The main problem I see is that an on-screen display using the d-pad to select letters one at a time is going to be infuriating to N810 owners, and without an N810, I can't really attempt an implementation using the N810's keyboard.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I got a bit bored and here's the result:

http://trac.tspre.org/svn/deblet/dep...o/bootmenu.deb

To take it apart, mkdir -p bootmenu/DEBIAN; dpkg-deb -x bootmenu.deb bootmenu; dpkg-deb -e bootmenu/DEBIAN

It is not built with dpkg-buildpackage, just built with dpkg-deb --build.

What it does:

Installs bootmenu.sh and .tgz's into /usr/lib/bootmenu, flash utils, mkfs.jffs2 into /usr/libexec/bootmenu, example confs into /usr/share/bootmenu, bootmenu.d enabled bootmenu.conf in /etc, creates directory /var/backups/initfs

Adds icon "Install Bootmenu" into Utilities upon install, which runs osso-xterm -e /usr/sbin/install_bootmenu. rootsh must be installed or others that provide sudo gainroot.

Provides /usr/sbin/refresh_bootmenu.d for Deblet/Clone to SD installers, which refreshes initfs' copy of /etc/bootmenu.d without too many questions. Installers would probably do osso-xterm -e /usr/sbin/refresh_bootmenu.d as last thing in their installation process as it requires a reboot.

I've edited the initfs_flasher to get its files and utils from the right place, and use /var/tmp as place for initfs images, and /var/backups/initfs for initfs backups.

I'd love some feedback, but as usual, no warranty on this, it may destroy your house or get you fed to annoying aliens.

/etc/bootmenu.d/*.items are on this form:

ITEM_NAME="Deblet" # Name of entry
ITEM_ID="deblet" # id if you want to autoboot sometime to this
ITEM_DEVICE="mmcblk1p2" # partition the fs is on
ITEM_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3" # modules needed to be loaded to mount filesystem
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3" # filesystem type
ITEM_FSOPTIONS="noatime,ro" # filesystem mount options
ITEM_LINUXRC="linuxrc.mine" # OPTIONAL. Will boot using /linuxrc.mine on the partition instead of using the usual Maemo initfs boot method (will break on non-linuxrc systems like Maemo)

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2008-08-20 at 16:57. Reason: New URL and features

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Great. I wanted to do something similar for years but never got bored enough to do it. Thanks for getting things moving :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Tags
bootmenu, deblet