It happened today that during my various tests,
I had to fire up good old top; and I noticed my 1GB RAM being fully used!
Now this is totally a newbie question and I apologize for that.
Is this normal on harmattan?

It seems all the device slowdowns occour exactly once the memory is full.
EDIT : which is compatible with swapping happening.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2013-02-23 at 21:06.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dublin, Ireland
http://everythingn9.com/ has an article on swap etc in one of their most recent posts....

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
This 768MB can quickly be used up, and if you load quite a few apps open at the same time, you may notice the device starting to slow down,and even closing all of these apps sometimes is not enough.
This is ********. Quitting app will free the RAM.
Cache is essentially free memory.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
Okay;
a bit of investigation turned up that everything is ok.
Maybe the fact that I did not reboot my phone in like two weeks contribuited to the bloating :P.
So, on boot up (at the first moment a SSH connection via SDK mode is available) the ammount of used RAM is about 720 Megs (according to top).

After boot is complete, applications are then pre-started as configured by each application (and as expected; so nothing strange here).
Opening many apps turned out to push the mem to 1 GB; but no problems (except the usual slow downs). So nothing weird here .

Perhaps using inception it could be easy to force a non-prestarted mode for most of the apps, which would save ram, and maybe also power?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Linux always uses up all available memory for buffers/cache, nothing strange there. Unused memory is wasted memory.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Linux always uses up all available memory for buffers/cache, nothing strange there. Unused memory is wasted memory.
Sure that.
But also wasted battery.

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Sure that.
But also wasted battery.
Really? Care to explain how?

You think that unused memory will not use electricity?

Really? Care to explain how?

You think that unused memory will not use electricity?
DRAM requires periodic refresh to retain values.
I would assume in low power envs unused DRAM would smartly be kept off (thus avoiding unnecessary currency drain).

But then again, I have no idea how DRAM in low power works so I am most likely wrong (even tho my thought sounds quite logical to me) .

EDIT: no mentioning of dropping currency drain from unused ram it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_DDR

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2013-02-24 at 15:24.

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
DRAM requires periodic refresh to retain values.
I would assume in low power envs unused DRAM would smartly be kept off (thus avoiding unnecessary currency drain).
But then again, I have no idea how DRAM in low power works so I am most likely wrong (even tho my thought sounds quite logical to me) .

EDIT: no mentioning of dropping currency drain from unused ram it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_DDR
Of course not - switching them on and off would drain more power, not to mention the lag caused of having to switch on banks of memory when you need them.

So, next time please inform yourself before spreading misinformation.

Of course not - switching them on and off would drain more power
Meaning how?