Notices

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Hi folks!

I'm curious, is there a decent theme that utilizies light colours (or plain white) as its dominant color?

I've tried several themes from both the repos and ovi store, but none of them looked actually better than the default NSeries theme.

The closest to what I'd like were Nosto and the iStyle Light themes, although both had some stuff that I didn't like in them. Perhaps if we comined them, we could get a perfect one? I dunno. I also sort of liked the appearance of the Harmattan UI demo, but it is impossible to get to work on Maemo 5.

Is there anyone else who likes light themes and feels the same way?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Quite hard to make one because Maemo 5 UI has some elements hardcoded and they can't be changed. That's why white themes don't just work because you can't change every color.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blinde For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Blinde View Post
Quite hard to make one because Maemo 5 UI has some elements hardcoded and they can't be changed. That's why white themes don't just work because you can't change every color.
Yes, I know, for example the Calendar was awful in PR 1.1.

But I thought that it has been sorted out with PR 1.2.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Yes, I know, for example the Calendar was awful in PR 1.1.

But I thought that it has been sorted out with PR 1.2.
Nope, the calendar is still ugly with white themes. A recommended bright theme is the IivilSteel OVI theme, good stuff!

The Following User Says Thank You to grenadejumper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by grenadejumper View Post
Nope, the calendar is still ugly with white themes. A recommended bright theme is the IivilSteel OVI theme, good stuff!
And so is e-mail program in some areas and many 3rd party widgets etc...

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
For me even making a theme for N900 is hard. Making it light is even harder.

I've been trying my best with Nosto Theme, but I had to stop developing as I didn't find PR1.2 template anywhere (theme has no virtual keyboard). If someone can help me with this problem I will continue that theme as it's very incomplete now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ministeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Ministeri View Post
For me even making a theme for N900 is hard. Making it light is even harder.

I've been trying my best with Nosto Theme, but I had to stop developing as I didn't find PR1.2 template anywhere (theme has no virtual keyboard). If someone can help me with this problem I will continue that theme as it's very incomplete now.
I love nosto theme you should finish it indeed, i modified it in 1.1 was almost completed but then came 1.2 and messed things up.

Got no template i replaced the images files like a noob.

The Following User Says Thank You to antezz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
The funny thing is back before Maemo5 you couldn't do dark themes due to hard coloring things light. I don't know if maemo will ever give us full control of everything so we can make good themes in any color.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
The funny thing is back before Maemo5 you couldn't do dark themes due to hard coloring things light. I don't know if maemo will ever give us full control of everything so we can make good themes in any color.
Well, this is a shame.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
And what's even more funny is that the only thing that's preventing this is that Nokia hasn't hildonized it's own built-in programs to follow theme coloring all the way. For example they have made calendar to follow background color set by theme but then they have hard coded some font colors NOT to follow what theme is telling to use :-/

I don't know why they have chosen that path in severall apps included in N900. Since they already made the programs to take some colors from theme, why on earth they didn't make same trick for all other elements...

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post: